Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Light to Light

3 days, 30 kilometres and yet another hike where I'm forced to embrace mother nature.  Surprisingly though, this time camping wasn't too bad.  In fact, I enjoyed it.  My goal was to be more positive on this trip than the last, and I could say I succeeded because of the company, but to be honest, it was probably just my change in attitude towards everything.  Somehow I got past the idea of how unhygienic the entire experience was, and the nostalgia is settling in now that my last 'school camp' has been completed.













This was the last of those trangia-made dinners, and breakfasts featuring milk powder.  I may never have to pee behind a tree again, or worry about my toilet paper touching the ground.  This was the last of those night-time tent conversations - truths being spilled at this sleepover under the stars.  I don't know if I will ever walk for hours with my house on my back again, playing word-guessing games to pass the time.









I've never really swam in the ocean.  It's always been this ambiguous body of water we look at occasionally from different parts of the world.  Of course I was the only person who didn't pack their swimsuit, so I summed up the bikini courage I don't have and stripped into my underwear to run into the water (my underwear was white so it wasn't the best idea, but it was worth it).  At first jumping over the waves was fun - the water carrying me higher than I could've jumped on my own, bobbing as the water went from deep to shallow to deep again - but then they got rougher.

And then I didn't know what to do and the waves would dunk me, and I was scared because it had never happened to me before.  My mum had told me stories of people on school trips drowning in riptides, and suddenly I could see how easily possible that was.  Once you're under you're pushed under and twirled around until the wave subsides.  Running away is only a moment of panic before the wave catches you and you're dunked under again.  It's ironic how the perfect solution is to dive straight into the wave as it hits.











Paranoia has been one of my favourite truth games lately.  I've brought it up at every get-together, every sleepover - and it's actually crazy how often we seem to want to play these sorts of games.  I don't understand the appeal but I know it's there.  We have this desire to know what people think of us, and then we start doubting ourselves based on what we know.  It's an unhealthy cycle but I love it.











We had a photoshoot on the beach because along with truth games, taking photos seems to be a huge part of our culture too.  Either you're creating artsy photography, or you're modelling yourself.  You need proof that you've been there.  You need to show that you're having fun.  You need to show the world that you're having the time of your life.  That's what candid laughing shots are for, even if they're completely posed.  The fun thing is though, fake laughs turn into real ones.









Sleepovers huddled in tents aren't so bad, and neither are day-time adventures to beaches and bushes.  Maybe I'll take up the offer the next time someone asks if I want to go camping voluntarily.

Love,
M

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely marvelous! I've only gone camping once which I didn't very much enjoy but this! This I could do! So beautiful! Looks like a great accomplishment and experience.

    Sarah || wanderlustandwild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahha. In my high school life I've been forced on trips 5 times now, and some have been good and some haven't. Don't base your opinion on only one experience.

      Delete
  2. It looks hilariously fun babe! Also the photography really captures the moments ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And these are only ones with nobody's faces showing. Imagine the moments captured when people are looking :')

      Delete
  3. Fair play to you I couldn't do that, not because I don't want to but unfortunately I have cartilage wear in my knee's and it's so painful. Looked hard but a great time also :)

    Meme xx

    New Post:
    Beauty Blender Dupe//Avon Precision Make-Up Sponge
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. You can probably still go on school trips or just camping without hiking though!

      Delete
  4. I think those photos are perfection! You did a amazing job at showing us what they day was like. Like another commenter said "The photography really captures the moments". Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I figure that one of the best parts of going on these trips is the photos. What else is nature for?

      Delete
  5. This looks like so much fun, can't wait to go on some camping trips this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun!! Maybe I should go on one too...

      Delete
  6. These photos are gorgeous! How do you play Paranoia? I've never played it haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so basically you whisper a question into someone's ear (eg. who do you think looks most like a chicken) and then they answer out loud someone in the group. Then they flip a coin and if it lands on heads they tell what the question was, and if it lands on tails, well I guess whoever they answered will forever be paranoid on what the question was. It's actually so fun!

      Delete
  7. Oh, that camping spot looks so beautiful! I, too, often feel that the enjoyment of the experience often depends on my attitude toward it. What lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Oakstar!! Positivity is key, even though sometimes it feels impossible

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous aesthetically pleasing pics, thanks for sharing. <3

    ava, http://landofquiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ava. Aesthetically pleasing pics are the best part of nature :')

      Delete