Monday, 21 September 2015

Embracing Mother Nature and Stuff

To be honest, I hate camping.  There's just this feeling of being utterly unhygienic that's unsettling.  The struggle of trying to take off soggy sandy sneakers outside the tent, the feeling of damp feet inside a sleeping bag, having to sleep on the hard ground and waking up multiple times in the middle of the night - this is what living in nature feels like, and it's not pleasant.





Other than the unsettling nights, hiking along beaches and through forests is kind of peaceful.  You can hear two girls in front singing, two girls behind getting to know each other better, and you're staring up at a green canopy, or down at your footprints in the sand, with company but at the same time without.  It's a little perfect.

And when there's an uphill that sends your calf muscles burning all you can do is look at the feet in front of you, and it becomes a methodical left right left right until you're at the top eating a muesli bar.











To be honest, I feel like I ate more than I lost throughout this two day hiking endeavour.  Multiple servings of carb abundant pasta at night, tubs of Nutella on Salada crackers, and I ate all this under the illusion that hours of hiking with somewhat heavy packs would balance it out.  I came home to find that no matter how much "exercise" I do, what I eat is what I am.  I still felt sick.











The third morning was pleasant.  We stayed at this campsite where a whole bunch of different people who apparently camp for fun were staying.  As I was walking to the communal bathrooms in the morning everyone I passed said good morning, and if they didn't I would say it to them.  One man was very interested in where we were hiking, and I had to awkwardly rack my brain for names of lunch spots and destinations.  There was an old couple in a caravan beside us, and the man was writing a little shopping list on his foldable table.  I guess camping would be somewhat fun if I could deal with the hard ground and dirt everywhere.












Sitting on your pack and staring at a beautiful view in front of you when you know you'll be back on the bus within the hour is a happy feeling.  I reckon I would enjoy exploring these places if camping and not showering weren't involved.







I'm going to have to go on another one.

Love,
M

17 comments:

  1. I feel you, I'd probably feel the same way if I ever were to try it.

    / Avy
    http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon trying it may be good for the experience, but at the same time you could probably just visit a hiking path for the sake of it. Being "one with nature" and staying the night is torture for a city girl.

      Delete
  2. This looks so fun!

    I mean, it has it's downs but I think they're worth it! Look at those wonderful views!

    The Journeys of a Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The view was pretty wonderful...

      Delete
  3. Ugh, camping, I hate it so much. The views are gorgeous!!!! But camping....ugh I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely definitely totally not one of my favourite things to do. If I'm going to pitch a tent, it better be in my lounge room.

      Delete
  4. Camping is fun, but I do agree that it's cold when you wake up in the morning and there are literally no actual showers (unless, like where my family usually camps, one is willing to hike two miles into town through a bunch of dust to the community showers). But the view is all worth it. ^.^

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha there were actually communal showers just up the road from both campsites, but the prospect of sleeping outside is what kills me. I'm a bit of a clean freak so sleeping with dirt on my clothes literally makes me shudder. The view was definitely worth the hike though.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I guess nature is pretty cool. Yeah, you should try it.

      Delete
  6. Aside from the unpleasant nights (which I would feel similarly about!), it sounds like you had an amazing time. The photography is beautiful. I'd love to go camping some day - for the beautiful scenery, and just for the experience really.

    Kate x
    www.theteenaspect.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scenery was pretty amazing, and I guess sometimes you really do feel one with nature...

      Delete
  7. It looks really amazing! I am with you on camping, I hate it!
    www.fixmeinfortyfive.com - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just coz it looks amazing doesn't mean we have to sleep in it ;)

      Delete