Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Assessment is Over(rated)



11.5.15
Maths is getting harder and I'm getting worried.

13.5.15
It's not healthy to be this lazy, to hate school this much.  I need to snap back into it, in time for this super difficult maths test tomorrow.

18.5.15
I'm feeling pretty calm.  I think it's time to focus on school - get through the next three weeks and I'll officially be done.  There's really nothing I should be worrying about because life is working out fine, and people will be people and the world keeps moving.  It's rather boring but overly complex all at the same time.  I've decided that classes are interesting, and learning is a blessing.

21.5.15
From now on it's assessment and nothing else.  I seriously need to focus because I feel as if I'm slipping.  And without good grades, what am I?

23.5.15
...
But anyway, this coming week has 6 assessments so I've got too many things to do.  There's no time for trivial issues and trivial people.

25.5.15
I really just want assessment to be over.  My grades aren't looking too great this semester, but I've got to look towards the rest of assessment before even thinking about the disappointment.

29.5.15
The motivation to do well is there, but at the same time, sometimes when the time comes I'm just so lazy.  How will I cope next year?  I feel as if I have too much confidence in my abilities, and that can only lead to shamed arrogance and disappointment in the end.

3.6.15
Assessment finally ended today, and I feel like celebrating.

In the past two weeks though, the two heaviest assessment weeks I think I've ever had, I noticed some eye-roll-worthy behaviour amongst friends, acquaintances, and myself.  We just make such a big deal out of all our tests and getting marks back, and we all have different behaviours and emotions and, I mean, I get that grades and stuff matter (even though we're in year 10 and it seriously doesn't go towards anything yet), but should it really influence our lives that much?

One time my friend got her maths test result back and she wouldn't talk to anyone for the next three hours.  She acted completely utterly depressed, and is a test really worth it?

In the maths test last week, in fact, quite a few people broke down in a panicked state.

After the commerce test another one of my friends dwelled on it all through lunch - That's over an hour of dwelling.

There's the competition for some, and the embarrassment for others, and the anticipation before getting a mark back, letting that mark dictate your mood.

Sometimes these people take assessment too seriously, as if it's the only thing on their minds.  Yes, studying is necessary.  But is it really necessary to hyperventilate, break down, affect your mood, let the test be the only thing you notice in your day, pretend you don't care when you actually do (a lot) for the sake of image, or talk about it for ages?  The question is: Why do we care so freaking much!?  Yes, good grades and education are important, but I wouldn't call any of it the priority of life.

What happened to the prospect of simply learning

Love,
M

20 comments:

  1. Grades are useless, they don't say anything about the sort of person that you are.

    / Avy
    http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may not say anything about your personality, but you have to admit: They are a sign of your qualifications. It's just the abject impossibility of competition that is ultimately so useless.

      Delete
  2. Exams just cause too much stress and pressure. No one I know takes them as seriously as how you're describing but still. It's stupid.
    Xoxo
    Grace Anne
    http://totallygraced.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These people need to calm their farm. We all need to realise that test scores aren't the end of the world, and a bad score can always be surmounted by good solid hard work in the future.

      Delete
  3. Grades don't define anyone's intelligence! Great post! x

    http://ohmymascara.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True to a certain extent. Thanks A'esha x

      Delete
  4. I totally get you. I stressed over my math final tons and I wouldn't enjoy my summer until my math teacher said, "Hey, I'm moving up to the next math class level up!" Literally, I feel so dumb complaining and stressing about that...

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel dumb about how much I care too. Being good at maths really is great and all, but it's not the ultimate purpose in life.

      Delete
  5. Yesyesyes. Exams are so stressful and they completely change so many people! Great post and I completely feel you :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh education is just so much hard work

      Delete
  6. Yes! I know how you feel. Exams are a definite emotional ordeal.
    We get all worked up over it and then it's like life depends on some stupid paper that says Pass or Fail. I had to take this exam in March and it was stressful. I ended up failing the mentioned test and I'm still disappointed over it. But thankfully there is another one if a few weeks that I am taking.
    Exams are way way overrated and too stressful.

    ~Kristen
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/DreamaCrochet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! All you have to do is retake it. Just try your best and if all else fails you'll always get a second chance to fix it. Yes, that pass or fail can dictate certain career paths you're allowed to follow, and yes they can seem impossible, but they're never really unfair at all, and they're not worth the amount of stress we put into them.

      Delete
  7. it's true, don't stress yourselves too much over it. you can do it M :)

    x Sharon ∞ eight shores

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And isn't it just so fulfilling when you get a good grade?

      Delete
  8. Yay for being done. Totally understand that pressure though... I think it's hard to know how much is caring too much, and how much is just being a hard worker. *shrugs* I've got two more years of high school to figure that one out! *fistbump*

    Chloe | Curious Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha two more years on this end too, and then it'll all be over for real. I reckon it's better to care too much than not at all tbh

      Delete
  9. Exams are stressful but don't let your life be about it because grades dont define us <3

    Flash Tattoo Giveaway!
    sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing post! You totally have a point there. I'm pretty sure everyone will agree with you.
    I've been so busy these days I've been missing so many of your posts :'( Going back to read them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh June haha you've only missed 2.

      Delete