Thursday, 28 May 2015

a French Kiss, a Boy Next Door and a Happily Ever After

I would classify the books I read into two kinds: There's the complicated ones, full of epic mystical, philosophical, ethical stories that leave your mind spinning over the turmoils you've just read. And then there's the light reads, which leave you with bittersweet ultimate happiness accompanied by envy of the characters' lives.  They're stories you wish would happen to you, and the series I've just finished is the perfect example of one of these.

Stephanie Perkins' three romances are literally so well written and idealistic.  And by romance I don't mean the sordid stuff for middle-aged women, which is the idea we seem to have attached to romance novels these days.  I mean the really cute romances we often see play out in chick flicks, except executed better with deeper meaning, because words always convey more layers than a movie ever will.  Not only are these books super duper cute, but they're also predominantly set in France, which means the characters can visit modern museums, the Latin Quarter, have walks along the River Seine - Life wouldn't get much better than that.

The three couples from the three books are also all so different from each other, in their own perfect way.


In Anna and the French Kiss there's Etienne, who's like all the perfect characteristics of any dream boy rolled into one.  He's funny, charismatic, charming, and apparently each of the girls in their French boarding school have liked him at one point.  He's also British, French and American.  Then there's Anna, who comes from America to France to study for a year, where of course she has to meet a boy as perfect as Etienne, and of course they're in love but there are other complications.  And then, in the end, there's the usual happily ever after.

The thing is, while I was reading this book, a girl at my school actually was spending a year studying in France.  My friend who also read this book made a valid point about how envious she was, how she somewhat wished she could experience a year in France herself, have an Anna and the French Kiss experience.  It's a pity we all know life doesn't really work out like this though.  Sure France is beautiful and a year there would be an adventure, but how many perfect French boys who are perfectly compatible with us will we meet?  I think the answer is none.


The second book is Lola and the Boy Next Door, and they're a pretty weird pair, which is why they're so sweet and work perfectly.  Lola is really into whacky fashion.  She's got the extravagant skirts and clashing colours and it's all just crazy.  Then there's Cricket, who's really into inventions if I remember correctly, and the twin of an ice skating sister.  He's super sweet as well, and they live next door to each other if you hadn't already gathered that.  A next door neighbour I would immensely enjoy hanging out with - Why can't I have one?

I remember there was this one scene I found really cute in this book.  Lola was wearing funny cat-eye glasses which actually turned out to be real, but they were crushed by her co-worker at the movie theatre she worked at.  Cricket was there and she was blind so he helped her all the way home through the Subway, which was partially hilarious and partially sweet.


And the final book, which I finished a few days ago is called Isla and the Happily Ever After.  The guy is Josh, who is artistic and super smart, but would rather focus on his art.  He may seem a little strange but I think he's pretty deep, and can be charming as the son of a diplomat.  He's actually a pretty complicated character.  Then there's Isla, who is smart and insecure which makes her seem even more real.  She's pretty complicated too.

I absolutely loved the setting of this book - It was located both in New York and Paris, which are two of the most contrasting beautiful cities in the world.  They also travel to Barcelona by train at one point, showing how compact all the unique countries of Europe are.  I really just want to travel, experience some escapism.

Reading books like this, which are well-executed and realistic, but don't seem to happen in real life, give me such high expectations.  Why is it that life is always better when made up, when played out through a story?  I don't know if I'll ever be able to settle for any relationship less than one of these. 

So I guess it's either life throws me someone or something just as spectacular, or I continue living fantasies.

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

Love,
M

36 comments:

  1. I've been in Paris for over a year now, I haven't met any perfect French boys.

    / Avy
    http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pity real life will never be as perfect as make-believe.

      Delete
  2. These sound good. Romance and contemporary rarely work for me, but the traveling sounds awesome! And if it's funny and well-written, I'll always give a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give these a try! I mean, they really are contemporary romance at the end of the day, but how could these stories not warm your heart?

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to read these books! Thanks for the reviews, M. LOVE your new blog design. (Is it new or am I super unobservant?)
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I have a new blog design! Thanks so much for noticing because ah I have to say I love it too. It just feels more sophisticated, you know?

      Delete
  4. GAH! This makes me want to read the trilogy even more! I don't think I've found a bad review of these books!

    Lucy @ My Little Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bad reviews can ever be found because they're just that perfect!!

      Delete
  5. I think that there is a mix of both. Books do give us those moments not so that we can expect them - but if they don't happen we can enjoy it. I actually own this trilogy although I haven't read it, so I hope to read it sometime soon. Personally when I went to China I had a mindblowingly book perfect time - and looking back at it I can see it would make a great YA novel. But for every fantasy YA, there is a darker, realistic and more saddening one. I just think it depends on how you look at things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really valid point to make - that these stories are created for our enjoyment of experiences that may not happen, and not to create unrealistic expectations. I guess that's what makes make-believe so appealing. It transports us into another reality where we can experience the unexperiencable. And if you've had a real YA book worthy experience, why not write about it ;)

      Delete
  6. These stories sound cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing blog post

    thanks for sharing :D

    I have shared with my friend I love it !!!!


    would love to know your thoughts on my new post Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    MyBlogloving

    MyFacebook

    Have a nice day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely review! I haven't really thought of reading these, but see them everywhere and have always been curious what it is they're about. <3

    foxinthewoodlands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jordy! They're seriously such good books. You have to read them!!

      Delete
  9. Hi dear! Very interesting post! Lovely blog!
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC, G+, Twitter, Instagram,facebook? Please let me know on my blog so I can follow back. Thank you
    kiss

    http://beautybeybi.blogspot.com.tr/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post dear! It's wonderful. ♥
    Would you like to follow each other?
    I'll follow back after it!
    www.similarose.blogspot.com/click

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this series. I really need to buy the books to add to my bookshelf - they were perfect summer reads!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are (not that I read them in summer). Haha and wouldn't those pretty covers just look great on a bookshelf :)

      Delete
  12. Liking the blog design :P I need to add these to my bookshelf.

    Meme xx

    New Post:
    'I Quit Sugar For Life Recipe Book//GIVEAWAY'
    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for noticing Meme!!

      Delete
  13. These books sound like they're all set in cool cities! If only I could live somewhere like Paris and NYC and have an interesting love life...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean. I used to read books & want that same life. Then I just had to realize my life is different than something that someone wrote. Sigh. These sounds pretty wanderlust inspiring. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great books but I've also come to realise that although real life may not seem as amazing, it is so much more real than anything make believe could ever be. Emotion is just so raw when experienced by us. We don't want their made up lives, but we want to know their stories.

      Delete
  15. I know what it means to dream of a fairy tale.. Well sometimes dream do come true..if u r open to accepting reality :) Great Post !

    BoHo StYLe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reality is pretty awesome x

      Delete
  16. I had a year in France and met no French boys - through one of my students did ask me out haha.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of your students? Oh wow that's awkward haha

      Delete
  17. I didnt hear of this author but will check it out. Such stories seem perfect for summer afternoon in the park :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be perfect for that.

      Delete
  18. Great!!! I love finding new books to read!! :)

    ~Ashyy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend these, that's for sure!!

      Delete