Friday, 3 April 2015

Getting a Job


I've literally been obsessing over this for weeks.  So I'm sorry to anyone who has been hearing me go on and on about my job (even when I hadn't started yet).  It's been a bit like word vomit.  I can't stop updating people even when they don't want to be updated.

Getting a job at 15 is a very controversial topic in my family.  Being classic Asians, all my relatives' ethic is that working is bad because it takes time away from studying, which I wasn't spending much of my time doing anyway.  They all think I'm going to be so enamoured with easy money that I'll skip university and become a hobo, because yes, I would just love to live off $10 an hour for the rest of my life.  They also have this weird obsession with the fact that I'll be meeting weird people and start going off and ruining my life or something.  I don't know.  Back in Malaysia people don't work until they've done their degrees overseas, and their first job is like becoming an engineer or lawyer or doctor or something.  I guess they don't have the opportunity at 15, or maybe school is just harder for them. 

The only people on my side are my mum and like every other Australian person, because they all think it's a good experience, which it is.  I mean, I'm learning social skills through customer service, and I'm learning how to deal with money, and I'm learning what working is actually like, and I'm getting stuff on my resume.  I don't see any of my cousins doing that, even the ones living in Australia.  They're all too busy studying 24/7, going for tution or taking random tests to get into ridiculously streamed schools (they will actually kick you out if you get bad grades).


So yeah, my family is totally against me, but that was okay because when I started applying for jobs none of them thought I'd actually get one.  They kinda just laughed and were like, "She's too young." or "She's not street smart enough to actually get a job by herself."  Which is why it was so cool when my local cinema decided to call me about a group interview 20 minutes after I submitted my resume.  I was literally freaking out.  I probably sounded like such a retard on the phone because the call was completely unexpected.

Honestly, the group interview felt like a classroom.  There were about 25 of us sitting in a cinema, with the manager, or the 'teacher', sitting at a desk at the front.  She got us to get to know the person next to us, like you would in a school camp or something.  I was sitting next to some guy who said he liked computers and had a band, which was cool.  He didn't get the job though.  And then she asked us questions, like in an interview, except we had to listen to 25 different answers.  I had to leave the group interview early, which made me really nervous, but it was all good and I apparently got to miss a maths test ;)


And then I got called in for an actual one on one interview, which I was surprisingly not all that worried about, until we were on our way there anyway.  I was just really polite, and acted super confident, and I honestly can't remember what happened but I must've been okay.  They did ask me this one question, "What was the last movie you watched?"  The last movie I had watched was Fifty Shades of Grey as a joke with a few of my friends that day, so it was still in my mind, but fortunately I managed to answer with The Theory of Everything.  And luckily I did that, because their follow up question was, "What would you say to someone to get them to watch that?", and I have no idea what I'd say about Fifty Shades of Grey... Laters Baby?


AND THEN I FOUND OUT I GOT THE JOB!!

So I went to the induction, which is basically where I sign papers, get a tour and get paid for being there.  There were 5 people there.  5 people from the group interview managed to get the job.  The first person I met was actually already my Facebook friend, but I didn't mention that.  We both knew it though.  They're all my age, which was refreshing, but also gave me a little social anxiety because I'm really starting to think I have social problems.  But yeah all the people were nice, and we swapped numbers, and the social anxiety I felt there was nothing compared to my first shift.

My fellow trainees may have been my age, but the people I worked with on my first shift last night weren't.  They were all 18-21 and I had no idea what to say, but I managed, and now I'm wondering what they thought of me.  But I shouldn't wonder because if I want to be myself and stop acting either pretentious or dorky, I need to not continuously think about it.

Working is actually way harder than I thought it would be.  What I have to do is less structured and takes more common sense than I thought.  And I was doing the easiest job.  They said I was learning fast but I feel like they say that to everybody, and it was a busy night.  Let's just say I was physically drained and tired by the end of it, and work sure won't ever be boring.


My next shift is on Sunday, but this time I'll be with another trainee from the induction.

Wish me luck!

Love,
M

52 comments:

  1. Aww congratz for the job! Good luck too :)

    Neeny x

    neenyslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting the job and good luck! Update us on how it is! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KC. I have the feeling it will be featuring quite a bit in my blog posts now ;)

      Delete
  3. Congrats, and good luck! I'm 15 too and have never had a proper job, although a few of my friends have jobs. I don't really know how I would cope in a working environment - I'm a hard worker, though I am really socially anxious so I imagine it would be a bit weird a first. Though by the sounds of it, you are a lot better in these situations than me, haha :)
    Best wishes,
    Lucy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Lucy. I decided to get a job because I knew a lot of people in my grade had one too, and by the sounds of it they liked having one (if only for the money). Trust me. I can be pretty socially anxious, but the trick is to fake it to make it. Just act like you're super confident and social and know what you're doing, and talk about how hard a worker you are and how you'd love the experience, and it's a piece of cake.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on getting a job! Hope it continues to go well. ^-^
    ~Adi

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome about getting a job! I'll be 15 in October and I can't wait to get a job, right now my dad is teaching me to drive a truck an I love it!
    -Addy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Addy! Ahh that's so cool that you're learning how to drive! I'm supposed to learn soon, but I can already tell I'll suck.

      Delete
  6. Good for you, Alex from target, lol. Quick thinking with the movie thing that made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I'm glad I made you laugh Skye :')

      Delete
  7. Good for you, going against the norm and getting a job!!! I just applied for one too so I totally feel yah! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh good luck Chloe!! I hope you get the job xx

      Delete
  8. Thanks amazing, M! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kudos to you, M! ;) I want to get a job but my parents don't want me to get one... I just want one for the summer!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just reason with them. Tell them it'll be good experience and you'll be able to pay for more of your own stuff. Trust me. It's been taking a lot of persuasion to get my dad on my side once I actually got the first interview.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations!All the best :)
    India is same as your relatives for the most part :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha they just don't understand. But I guess that's okay because working while in school is just not part of their culture.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations! I really, really want a job, but I'm only fourteen and I don't turn fifteen until the end of the summer. I'm sure there are jobs for fourteen-year-olds out there, but I have no idea how to look for them.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay to wait until you're 15. 14 and 9 months is the legal age where I live but most places just offer 15. I hope you get a job soon! Thanks Ella! x

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! :)
    Enjoy your work experience! You'll get to meet so many new people and trust me, the more people you meet up with, the more you grow as a person!
    Stay awesome as ever,
    Much love,
    Archie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Meeting new people of a different demographic is one of the reasons why I wanted a job in the first place. I reckon it really will help me grow as a person. Thanks Archie!

      Delete
  13. Congratulations!
    I'll be working this year as well as an intern (doing book-keeping) I think, for a family friend.<3

    One reason why I love your blog- among many others -is that I get to learn things about a different country and the workings of a family in it that I likely wouldn't have before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you too Jordy! Yeah it is pretty cool how us bloggers are from all over the world, yet we're still able to share our versatile experiences with each other.

      Delete
  14. I remember my first job I was so happy, then you get a full time job and it's like I wish I was still in school ahah :) Good luck with your job!

    Meme xx

    New post:
    '10 Things Boy's Just Don't Understand'
    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha life will do that, won't it. I don't think I'll be too happy once I get a full time job either.

      Delete
  15. Congrats on the job! I got my first job at 15.

    Alex from Target. Lol!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's sort of like a rite of passage, isn't it. ;) Oh Alex...

      Delete
  16. good luck for your new job and um.. you are not too young to work actually

    vnssachn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know, but clearly the relatives think I am...

      Delete
  17. Congrats on your job!!! I'm so happy for you, and I hope that your family will see how good a job is for you. I promise the nervousness goes away, and you will become good at the job soon!
    - July, http://julyaemmance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh. I'm still not comfortable with it, and knowing I have a shift this afternoon is already giving me the jitters. Hopefully you're right July!

      Delete
  18. Haha, great post! I haven't gotten my first proper job yet even though I'm 17 now. I freelance as a makeup artist but that's about it! Haha


    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makeup is something I need to learn more about. Haha.

      Delete
  19. CONGRATULATIONS M!!:)
    I'm am so proud of you;) you have your own income now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey yeah I do Juney ;) ;) Thanks <3

      Delete
  20. It can be hard to find a job! At fifteen I was babysitting alone (I'm sixteen now, so things shouldn't be too different) but now I have three jobs - said babysitting, tutoring and also ironing for the elderly! I love the independence of my own money and being dedicated to things. It makes me feel like myself.

    Congrats on getting your own job! And even breaking culture a little bit to do so. I am sure you can do it ^,^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia! I feel that sense of independence too, and it's both exciting and frightening. I can't imagine having 3 jobs like you!

      Delete
  21. nice post :) happy Easter. Kisses :)

    http://www.itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's completely different in my life- having a part time job is crucial in order to save up for college! But you need a break from studying too! That Facebook image made me laugh! I'm showing it to all my friends now!

    Congrats on the job! And best of luck! xx
    Golden Ducklings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I don't need the money as such but I feel like the experience is good, and having a previous job on my resume will help me for when I do get to university. Hahaha that meme is the daily life of having an Asian parent.. but less severe :') Thanks Rachel!

      Delete
  23. Congratulations! What you described is exactly the way I felt after my first shift. I had no idea what to say to my coworkers. xD But it sounds like you did great. :) I've always thought it would be cool to work at a movie theater. I hope you have fun and have a really great experience with it all round!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! First shifts sure are daunting, and second, and third (which is today), and probably fourth and fifth and who knows when it will end. Figuring out what to say may be hard, but hey it's good social experience right?

      Delete
  24. Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy (but you'd do it better) :') xx

      Delete
  25. Good luck! Congrats!
    That was seriously the first time I ever saw a picture of Alex from target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha are you serious!? Thanks Oakstar xx

      Delete
  26. Hey, Congratulations on your job, actually i thought so too, that you should get your degree first and it takes time from studying so your parents have reasonable fears but as i read here you are completely aware that studying is still very important - so in this case just go for it and good luck

    http://vannieann.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I mean I get that uni and education are the main priority for someone my age... but, I mean, I'm not studying 24 hours a day anyway, so I can definitely spare some time to earn some extra money and meet some new people ;) Thanks for the luck Anne!! xx

      Delete