Tuesday, 21 April 2015

A Family Trip to Sydney (the usual)

Dear Diary,

I'm incredibly irritated at the world right now.  Daddy won't stop singing in that ridiculously high stupid voice, Mummy won't stop saying "shhh" and grabbing her ears like a 5 year old when she knows I'm right or started an argument and doesn't want to finish it, and E won't stop pretending to be a goody-two-shoes baby.  All I can hear is them in this cramped hotel room because they won't shut up even though it's past midnight.

...

Oh look at that.  The family is talking about how rude and argumentative I am again.  They're talking about why I don't appreciate E's "cuteness" while she's gloating.  And finally I've said something funny so E has to go along and say, "no one cares", while Daddy laughs his head off and Mummy eventually goes on about how we have to be quieter, as if she's not being loud herself.

...

Now Mummy's snoring like a whistle through her nose, or maybe it's a zipper being pulled slowly.  And now she's awake telling me to turn off the light, probably having been woken up by her own snoring, as I will be by Daddy's very early this morning.

So we got in the car to Sydney very late on Thursday morning, about two hours later than we planned to leave.  Daddy had been cycling outside for two hours just to make the point that yes, he was on time.  And maybe we all would have left an hour earlier if only he'd come inside and I don't know, helped for once?

In the car was the radio debate.  Basically, that's where my sister and I in the back say, "Could someone please turn on the radio?", and my dad goes, "I don't know how." even though it's literally this one button that we've been pointing at for like a minute now.  And then my mum goes, "Be patient girls!" as if it takes freaking forever to just press that stupid button.  So eventually my sister simply takes off her seatbelt, leans forwards and presses the button, and gets back in her seat again, all within 5 seconds, which causes my mum to start yelling about how we can't even wait five minutes.


In Sydney we do the usual.  We check into our usual hotel.  We sit in the hotel room for what's meant to be ten minutes but is actually an hour because apparently we need a rest even though we've been resting for three hours in the car.  And then we head straight to Mamaks as usual, which by the way is this amazing Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown that everyone should go to, and order the roti canai, mee goreng and nasi lemak like we did.  My sister would return to this shop every night of our trip, and for lunch once more as well.

After a productive afternoon of shopping, we went to see Les Miserables the musical which was absolutely amazing.  We had the songs stuck in our heads for the entire trip up until now, and wow.  I actually love that musical so much.  Just so you know, Eponine is my favourite character and that prissy-man-boy Marius doesn't deserve her anyway.  Maybe she should go end up with Enjolras in heaven.



The next day was kinda rainy but we went to The Gap anyway and took some lovely little photos.  The car ride there wasn't so pleasant though.  My mum kept going on about how my dad was going on his phone too much and was like "what's the point of you being here if you're going on your phone", and then he said that her brothers always do the same thing, and she started going off on a random tangent as usual and talking about how she hates it when he uses her brothers as examples.  And he was still trying to stay on the topic of how it's okay to go on his phone for a while if there's something important going on at work, but she was already going on about a new argument because she kinda can't focus on the real topic ever, and at this point I was telling her to stop being unreasonable and E was too, but nobody listens to E because she's just a 'dumb lazy baby'.



So yeah we acted like a happy family for the photos when in reality we were pretty much just walking alone and asking each other to pose or be photographers, and then yelling about how pathetic each other's photography is, or about how we don't want to pose any longer.






And that night I went off the rails at my dad for deleting the photos from his phone when I explicitly told him not to, meaning I would now have to transfer everything via email on my irritating continuously freezing laptop if I wanted any of these photos on my camera roll.  And after a twenty minute tirade on the petty issue of photos I wallowed in my PMS misery with a ginormous choc fudge sundae from the Lindt Café on Darling Harbour.



On Saturday I literally only left the hotel room for a buffet breakfast and a quick walk before sitting in the hotel room on my phone while the family went out to Mamaks for what they said would take about an hour but ended up being two and a half.  I did watch a nice movie with my sister later though, on our new Netflix account which I am absolutely loving, although I wish we had the American library because the Australian one is seriously pathetic in comparison.  The movie we watched was the Spectacular Now which was pretty great.  I love Sutter as a character.  He's so perfectly complicated, the definition of putting on a smile and hiding the troubles inside, the perfect philosophy on whether living for the moment is the correct mantra.


And that night we drove for an hour to visit relatives, where my dad told them jokes about how self centred I am, as usual.  I feel like he's trying to create a negative identity out of me.  There probably is some truth in what he's saying, but go to anyone he hasn't painted this picture of me to, and they think I'm perfectly nice, probably because I act polite-ish to everyone outside my family, and simply atrocious to those within.  But seriously, I only started actually thinking I'm selfish after my dad told people and me so over and over again.  And then I started acting along to complement his jokes.  Maybe I am selfish now.  But who made me think so?  Who made that who I am?  Maybe if he'd just back off on telling me I'm rude and selfish and that's who I am, then maybe I'd stop acting that way in front of him.  Maybe I'm not even acting so anymore.  Maybe he's just gotten so biased that he can't see me in any other light.  That sounds like my dad, honestly.  And he has this way of making everyone believe he knows what he's talking about, when really his opinions are just as clueless as everyone else's.


On Sunday morning we went for a nice long walk where my dad kept trying to direct us on his rigid route when really, all we wanted was to walk to get food.  So that's what we did, and then we went with him.  Sometimes I walked alongside my dad, and sometimes with my mum and my sister.  That's the thing.  My dad always says we're having "family time" when all he does is walk like 100m in front of us while we stroll along behind.  He never slows down.  He hates strolling.  He doesn't really spend much of the walk with the family at all, to be honest.

Family time happens when we're eating.  We'll be stuffing our faces with Yum Cha from that really nice place with the ridiculous queue, and my parents will be happily discussing what to get while we're eating ourselves to the point where it physically hurts to shove anything else down our throats.  Except for my sister of course.  It's either sticky rice, mango pudding or nothing.  But for the rest of us, it's let's try a bit of everything and eat some more and then steal my sister's food while we're at it.

And somehow, when we're about to go home after Yum Cha, my dad, sister and I get stuck fetching the car.  It's too bad my dad has the worst sense of direction because E and I are literally yelling at him to turn left but he doesn't and then we're all lost.  And even when we give him directions that are clearly correct or from the map, he'll be like "No.  It's definitely this way." and get us all lost again.  So what should've been a 2 minute drive from the parking lot to the hotel took almost half an hour.


But we made it.  And my mum loaded her 25 plastic bags into the car, because she's just too cool for a regular luggage like normal people.  And we were off.  This time my dad had no problem turning on the radio to listen to sport, and I was fine with that.  I took out my phone and plugged my earphones in, and my sister did the same, so we had three different people listening to different things, and my mum listening to her snoring, because anything is better than talking to each other.

Love,
M

12 comments:

  1. My family ends up following the same schedule as your family did once we arrived at a place. My family ends up checking into a hotel and then my brother and I wait in the lobby for hours waiting for my parents to stop rambling to the front counter.... sigh. But being able to visit the Hard Rock Cafe and see Les Miserables is better than what I can do when I visit out of town (most of the places out of town are all in forests in small communities).

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh the lobby waits. My sister spends her time playing subway surfers while I'm trying to snap chat discretely so people can't tell I'm taking selfies. And I'm actually kinda wishing for a forest trip with the fam, but that's like the total opposite of what my parents can stand. I guess it's big cities and shopping for us. Embrace the family holidays. They'll end soon and become mere memories.

      Delete
  2. I wish to write that Sudney was as usual :D lol
    Have a wonderful day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah Sydney's great. You too Anja!

      Delete
  3. That was so hilarious, mostly because I have many of the same problems when I go on a trip with my family. Isn't it annoying how they will never go to bed in that little hotel? And my dad sings all the time too, but it's actually kind of funny because his songs are so stupidly original. But I totally get you. Great post:)
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh family holidays just drive everybody crazy, right!? Well I think it's more the prospect of staying in one room together, especially when the parents are snorers. Aha what is it with dads and singing. Thanks Sarah x

      Delete
  4. Haha oh dear! Family holidays will get better when you're older! I'm in my 20's now and love them, family are less irritating when you're an adult (I think!)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they become less irritating when they're no longer the boss of you and you don't live with them anymore... That sounds about right.

      Delete
  5. You know that sort of sounds like our kind of trips every time we mean to leave. We always ALWAYS leave late and yknow what? It's just our family and I sort of love it xD Something must have gone terribly wrong the day we ever leave the house on time and all together. I am glad to see you had such a great time in Sydney even though sometimes you did the same things you usually do. Ooh, and I am so envious of you going to see Les Mis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha dysfunctional families are a given, and sometimes all you can do is laugh :') Sydney really was great, and now that I'm back to the school routine, I wish I were there now. Les Mis was pretty amazing too xx

      Delete