Saturday, 7 March 2015

Early Mornings

Up until mid-January this year, I've always been the classic example of someone who would sleep in.  On weekdays, when I needed to wake up at 7:30 to go to school, I would purposely stay in bed until 7:35 and then 7:40 and sometimes even 7:50 just for those extra minutes of sleep.  I was someone who would say, "5 minutes more sleep is a lot in the mornings," and I'm sure a lot of you are able to relate to that.  Even on weekends, I would waste away half of my day before I woke up, leaving me somewhat groggy and unproductive for the rest of the day.  It was such a major waste of time.

Now, however, I wake up at 6:30 most weekdays and it carries over to my weekends.  This morning I woke up at around 7am voluntarily.  And you know what?  That means there's 5 more hours for me to get everything I need done.  It's not like I ever did anything in those hours from 8pm to 2am on the weekends, and even sometimes weekdays, so I may as well use my morning hours on something productive.

And you should join me.


Trust me, I never even considered it possible until a little motivation from a month long junk food binge and an amazing blog post I can't remember the name of now.  I hope to be that blog post for you ;)

If you aren't already persuaded by what I've just said, here's a list of reasons why waking up earlier is amazing.


1. You can get so much more done!

I've mentioned this earlier, but that's because it's so true.  We never consider mornings as a time to study or exercise, but it really is the best time for any of that.  It's so much easier to push yourself to do something in the morning than it is in the afternoon when you get back from school.  You've got to do something with that extra hour, or more depending on when you wake up, so go comment on some blogs, go over everything you need to know in science, go for a jog.  The last one is what I personally do, and it's the first time I've been pretty consistent about it for six weeks straight.  I have the time and motivation in the mornings.

2. It wakes you up

Okay, so this was me pre-waking up early: practically fall out of bed, slowly change and brush my teeth, drag myself downstairs for a miniscule breakfast, and trudge out to the car.  I sound so asleep, and I would arrive at school much the same, just pure tiredness for the first 20 minutes.  Now I jog and have a shower after, and I am so much more awake!  I can actually concentrate, my mind is sharp.  It's like the jogging clears my mind after sleeping and the whole process prepares my brain for a new day.  You don't need to jog if you don't want to go through the almost dying bit.  Going for a walk or having a nice relaxing cup of tea or chai latte or coffee, if you're still really asleep, is probably just as effective.  Although I suggest going outside.  The morning atmosphere is just so refreshing.


3. You can have a nice breakfast

Some mornings all I would have time for were two measly muesli bars.  I'd grab them and eat in the car, because otherwise I'd be late.  Now, however, I can eat Oats, proper cereal, yoghurt, anything in the house, because I have time to make anything.

4. You're never late

It's logic.  If you're awake an hour before you need to get ready you don't need to rush.  You can do extra stuff, and most definitely be ready and awake to start getting ready at 7:30 sharp, unlike the old days when you were sleeping in past that time.  Or you could be ready an hour before you need to leave, and spend that hour relaxing or being productive, always ready to hop into the car or get onto the bus.

 
5. You sleep earlier as well

Obviously if you're waking up earlier you're going to go to sleep earlier, otherwise this whole early morning thing would become unhealthy.  Your body just kind of corrects your sleeping patterns for you.  For someone like me, who would regularly stay up until 2am reading, I now don't ever sleep past midnight, even on a weekday.  In fact, I'm actually getting more sleep now than I was before, even though I'm also getting more done.


6. You just feel healthier

I think it's like a stereotype that people who wake up early and go for walks or jogs or watch the news and stuff are healthy.  I know the moment I went for my first morning jog I felt like I was a motivated fitness guru (I'm far from it).  The same goes for all those healthier breakfasts, and the way in which we carry ourselves all day.  It affects everything in a healthier way.

7. Studies show that early risers are happier people

They say it's because our lives are already structured around a morning schedule.  School goes from 9 to 3 and work goes from 9 to 5, generally.  It's also the combination of getting a good sleep, getting more done, including possibly making a to do list (which is a great idea) and having a relaxing morning routine, such as meditating or jogging or walking.  Studies even say early risers are generally more successful, which always does bring happiness ;)


So there's some very valid reasons as to why you should be waking up early, and if you're thinking that you could never do it, I did.  So why can't you?  It's just a matter of forcing yourself to get up, and allowing yourself the time to sleep, and your body will correct itself.

So, are you going to become an early riser?

Love,
M

40 comments:

  1. I've been waking up earlier lately too, it is so nice! :) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is ;) Thanks Elizabeth!

      Delete
  2. Waking up early is nice! I'm an early riser anyways, I've never slept past 10:00 am. Those pictures are wonderful!

    ~Noor
    a little bit of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky you're naturally an early riser. The first time I even tried I just felt so bad all day, but now it comes naturally too, although I do feel myself slipping into the late night late morning routine sometimes. Thanks so much Noor!!

      Delete
  3. I've always been an early riser. I get up at 6:20 on school days and I usually wake up between 7 and 8 on weekends. None of my friends understand my early-birdness, but I think it's nice to have extra time in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you should teach your ways to your friends and improve their lives! Although when I tried they all were just like lol never gonna happen I can't do that. It definitely is nice though

      Delete
  4. Wow! I'm really bad about getting up too late, so I really need to try this. Agh. I can't quite say I'm looking forward to it, but hey, it needs to be done!
    xoxo
    Grace Anne
    http://totallygraced.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does!! You'll be glad you did later. Don't worry. Last night I practically did sleep at midnight thanks to some facetime distractions. It's just a matter of always forcing yourself and forcing your body to adjust... which I will be trying to do all day ughh

      Delete
  5. What a great post. I have insomnia, so I can't sleep (I have tried and tested different methods!), I'll be awake since 5 every morning, but lay in bed till 10 or 11, I really need to get into the habit of just getting up, it makes me feel so much better, and it's so much healthier. Thanks for the reminder :)
    It'sMyLife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! If you're already awake at 5 then just get up!! And that way, if you're tired all day, your body will be forced to sleep that night and you should feel better already. No problem Miriam!!

      Delete
  6. Its so funny that you'd write this post because over the past two weeks I've been thinking about and doing the exact same thing. Not jogging, yet. haha. its still hecka cold where I am, but once the weather warms up I want to get back on that band wagon.

    I've been waking up at seven, when I used to sleep until nine or ten. homeschooler problems.

    But I feel amazing. Its so weird. lol. I love watching the sunrise and when I wake up earlier I really do feel spectacular. plus my house is crazy loud, but if I wake up first it gives me time to enjoy the peace before my seven younger siblings wake up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY!! It's the peace and quiet and the general feel that makes you feel just... good. I have no idea what I'm going to do in Winter when it's dark in the mornings, but yeah, if that's Summer for you you should start jogging! It just boosts your self confidence as well honestly. Like, I must be superior because I go for morning jogs.

      Delete
  7. Great post dear!
    Would you like to follow each other GFC+?
    I'll follow back after it!
    www.similarose.blogspot.com/click

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll check out your blog.

      Delete
  8. This is a great post! I agree so much. I've been getting up at 5:00 a.m. every morning since August, and I feel so much better than I did before I started being an early riser. I now have time to make and eat breakfast, blog a little, and get some last-minute work done before I have to catch the bus at 6:30.
    --Rebecca at The Silver Flute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca!! Wow 5am!? Maybe I could get there one day ;) But yeah there's definitely so much more time to just do everything!!

      Delete
  9. I don't get up early on holidays usually unless I absolutely have to.I take those extra hours in the night.Even when I wake up I just can't get out of my bed until after 15-20 minutes of lying in it.Although I have to get up at like 7 when I have college but I stay in bed until 7:30-ish and therefore am always late.Have to take breakfast with me to eat on the way most of the days.
    But the days I do wake up early can sometimes feel good :)
    I should try getting up early more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neal. You gotta try this waking up early thing. Seriously. Your life will just be better. One of the main lessons I've learnt from this was that lying in bed an extra 15-20 minutes is just such a waste of valuable time for no reason besides making you even more groggy. When you wake up, just jump out of bed immediately!

      Delete
  10. Such determination you have! :D It's amazing!
    Waking up early is definitely a step towards a more healthy lifestyle:)
    Great post <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why you should try it Juney!! Haha it's not even determination after the first day or two. Your body just does it automatically.

      Delete
  11. I have nominated you for the liebster award details on my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neon Girl! I'm checking it out now. xx

      Delete
  12. I am still having a hard time waking up early in the morning. I can't even wake up before 8:30 for the class but this is a good post! i will consider being a morning person

    www.dicexcvi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely consider it!! You won't regret it! And this way you'll always be ready for class and your day in general. It's not that hard after a few days.

      Delete
  13. I usually have to wake up early for school anyways, so on weekends, I'm exhausted. I wish I could do what you do, but I doubt I could because I go to bed pretty late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about sleeping early. Just spend one day absolutely exhausted and that will set you straight ;) Trust me. It'll give you so much more time on weekends!

      Delete
  14. I love the feeling of waking up early in the morning, especially if it's for something not relating to school, like theatre. During then I have to be at the performing arts hall by eight, but I usually wake up at five to briefly study so I actually did do some school work (I do that day's homework the night before). And to see the busiest parts of my town and driving into the city up and about around 7:30 is amazing.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I just realised your name here is Morning and yes, it is lovely and you are lovely. Driving around the city in the early morning sounds amazing. I do that every Wednesday because I have band, and the lighting is pretty and there's usually a hot air balloon or something and the lake is glistening and mornings are lovely <3

      Delete
  15. This would be a great thing to start when it gets warmer, I am just so awful at gettting out of bed in the morning!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be too, but Missie! You can do it. Cold morning air is actually so nice

      Delete
  16. I was exactly the same, in school and just after I would sleep in till like 2 in the afternoon and would waste all my free time, but since I started working I try to get up as early as possible on the weekend, so I have more time to do things, as I hardly get any free time anymore.

    Meme xx

    New Post out now:
    'Lush Haul//Easter Range'
    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. When I start working I'll probably have to be more productive with my mornings rather than relaxing. But hey, at least waking up early won't have to be an adjustment anymore.

      Delete
  17. What a wonderful post! It's true, everything is true and I totally agree with you. I wake up at 7:43 since I have to be at work at 10. I drink coffee and eat something but it's not enough. I try to wake up earlier, but is so hard. I'll try though because the truth is that the day seems more beautiful if you wake up early. I can't really explain why!
    When I was in highschool and lived still in my hometown, when the weather was good, I used to wake up early, ride the bike to the beach and watch the sun shimmering on the water. It was the most beautiful time of the day.
    Thanks for reminding me this, M!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds absolutely beautiful. If I lived near a beach I would definitely do the same, and take amazing pictures every day ;) You should definitely try for earlier, because no matter where you are, there'll always be a pretty sunrise.

      Delete
  18. I've been an early riser for most of my teenage years and it's a habit that has stayed with me since. I totally agree with you on the fact that you can get so much more done and you also have more time to be fully awaken until you have to go to school.
    I also like the fact that early risers have time to eat the proper breakfast and don't have to be on a rush every morning.
    Every weekday I wake up between 5:30 and 6am, and on weekends I wake up between 6:30 and 7:30 am.

    Salha | Abuhayar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like such a great routine! Maybe I should consider waking up even earlier like that ;) Breakfast is definitely important. The day just doesn't feel complete without it.

      Delete
  19. Wow, this is very encouraging... I already get up around 5:50 to get read for school. My bud comes close to 7:00 and I must take showers every morning. I am not much a fan of spring ahead though... But, showers truly do help you wake up😊😊!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably do! I've never tried just showering because I usually only shower in mornings after a jog, which has already woken me up.

      Delete
  20. Hi M!
    This is a very encouraging post and very, very true.
    For the past few months, I've been waking up early and damn, I get a lot of things done on time. I can read a lot more, study a lot more and I have more time to live my life to the fullest!
    Keep spreading awesomeness,
    Much love,
    Archie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Live life to the fullest" That's a nice way of describing it. Thanks so much Archie!!

      Delete