Friday, 6 February 2015

The Best Summer Yet

It's finally Friday and I'm absolutely exhausted after the first week of school.  I've been meaning to post this since Monday but I didn't realise how surprisingly busy school would make me.  I literally haven't had any solid free time since it started, and I guess the summer was just so amazing that I couldn't write about it until the very last moment was over.


I really truly feel we've done a lot in these holidays.  We've gone to different parks, hugged strangers, walked around lakes, gone swimming, gone shopping, watched movies, took Polaroid pictures, done blindfolded makeovers, ate at cafes and played paintball, and we also both went on big trips overseas.  How many people can say they did all that in their holidays!!

This was quoted word for word from a text message TN sent me near the end of the summer holidays.  I spent most of my days in Australia with her and as a result didn't end up marathoning TV shows and taking up random projects and hobbies.  It wasn't the most relaxing of summers, but it definitely was a fun one.


The first key thing I'm going to bring up is the bucketlist.  Earlier in the year, TN and I had read a book called Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson.  We liked the idea of the list of tasks Sloane gave Emily over the summer, so we decided to make a summer list of our own.  So a week before school ended we sat at the front and made a list of stuff we'd regret putting down later.



1. Hug a stranger

We both did this at my birthday party, the weekend after school finished.  TN was feeling dehydrated before a game of paintball and hugged the instructor on the way back down. 

As for me, we decided that if the knife came out dirty when I cut the cake, I would have to 'hug a stranger'.  Of course it did come out dirty, and I ended up hugging a very good looking guy named Jesse.  He was in a group of 18 year old guys and his girlfriend was there too, and he also happened to be family friends with one of the girls at my party.

2. Dance behind a stranger

We half heartedly did this behind a few people in Coles (the local supermarket), but they didn't notice any of our popping and locking as we awkwardly walked past behind.

3. Go to a counter and ask what year it is

We did this in the ABC shop where I bought a card and as an afterthought TN said, "Just wondering, what year is it?"  The girl at the counter was like "Um, 2015?"  And then I yelled "We made it!" (as if we were time travellers) and we ran out of the shop as fast as we could.  I don't know if the counter girl got my joke at all.

4. Go to a counter and tell them they'd make a cute couple

TN bought a smoothie from a nice awkward Asian guy with a nice awkward Asian girl working alongside him.  After he'd given her the smoothie I added quickly, "Just so you know, you and that girl would make a cute couple." And I pointed somewhat discretely at the girl.  He just nodded and smiled a little and said "Okay."  I'm not sure if I was imagining it, but I swear he was even more awkward after.

 
5. Go to the shops together in winter clothing

We were changing into my fancy coat and her scarf and beanie when the cleaning lady started a conversation with us and ended with "Yeah.  It can get pretty cold in here.  You look like you're getting dressed for Winter."  When we walked into shops, no one asked if we needed any help.  I guess we looked a little retarded, but they were nice outfits.


6. Go Christmas carolling after Christmas

I didn't get to do this with TN because it was very last minute, on the second last day of the holidays.  I ended up doing it with two of my family friends.  We grabbed two Christmassy stuffed animals and one green headband and traipsed up to a house behind, belonging to a girl we kind of know from dance, all the while yelling "Merry Christmas!" at any passers by.  It was awkward because her mum and younger brother answered the door, and by the time the girl got there she was just like, "You can just go mum."  And then she stared at us, cringing as we stumbled through the words of Deck the Halls.

7. Convince a relative that we ride to school on kangaroos

In Malaysia, I said this to the youngest of the D boys (who isn't actually related to me but whatever) who was like, "Oh!  Really?"  My cousin was laughing, his brother was laughing, and I said, "Yeah.  Sometimes we ride in the pouches.  You know, where they keep their joeys?"

8. Play hide and seek in a shopping centre

We didn't do this one, although it does sound fun.

9. Blind folded makeovers and go in public

TN and I had messed up eyeliner and lipstick, while we made AH look like a drag queen.  Then we walked to a nearby café, either hiding behind our purses, yelling "It was a blindfolded makeover!" at strangers who hadn't even noticed, or singing This is How We Do while walking like we owned the world.  The barista at the café later asked, "So what have you girls been doing all day, other than wearing a shit tonne of makeup?"



10. Give a pick up line

My first attempt was on an older (but very good looking) guy at the bus stop.  I kept saying I would give him a pick up line just before we got on our bus, but then he got up first and I said "You, wait." but he didn't hear.

Then there was the poor angry bored miserable looking boy on his phone at the mall.  I yelled beforehand at TN, "I'm going to do the pick up line now."  And he probably must've heard.  Then I walked up to him and said, "If you were a fruit you'd be a fineapple."  He just nodded lazily in response and I couldn't take it so I ran away.

As for TN, there was a very good looking guy our age on his phone, and she kept breathing and preparing and then he looked at us and we ran away giggling.

11. Have a conversation with a stranger

There was probably more than one, but early on there was good old Vincent.  We were sitting on a bench, minding our own business, staring at the lake, when he sat next to us and started with, "Am I making you uncomfortable?"  He was in the year above us at a nearby kinda messed up school, and TN reckons he was Asian but I swear he wasn't.  He called himself a failure and the conversation led to, "So what do you want to be when you grow up?"  I actually knew one of the girls in the group he was with and when I told him so he promptly said, "She's a bitch.", jokingly I hope.


Another key thing I remember were the sleepovers.


Sleepover number one involved one bus ride from school, in which we encountered four bitches.  I took a snap chat of one of them, drawing an arrow towards her head stating "She's a bitch" and posting it as my story, while AH stuck up two middle fingers which got a Hawaii sign for hello in return.  It also involved two trips to two different malls, blindfolded makeovers, some creeped out people at the door and movies as usual.

Sleepover two involved Pretty Little Liars, Dance Academy, a workout session in the middle of the night, a little gossip, and a spontaneous trip to the mall still in my pyjama top.

Sleepover three involved some severe facebook messaging.  So should we go to your kookaburra tree or mine *suggestive eyebrows*  Be my Augustus Waters.  Without the terminal disease of course *suggestive eyebrows again* and then there was this one very inappropriate movie which I think I am a little scarred by.  We didn't sleep until 5:30am, and I caught a plane the next day.

Sleepover four lasted for three nights.  It involved me being a piece of furniture in my cousin's house, savouring her unlimited wifi to watch movies and talking to her relatives coming in and out.

Sleepover five involved loads of sherbet (aka 'the supply') and High School Musical

Sleepover six was a debating sleepover just before school.  We ended up talking to people from other grades, learning a little about community service and work experience up ahead, and I think it was my first real return to civilisation after Malaysia.


And I also took quite a few buses


This isn't something I've done a lot of before.  I've always been worried or paranoid about pressing the stop button at the right time and whether I'll get on the right bus and where to sit.  But I've now taken the bus from one side of the city to the other.  And there was that day where I felt as if we were just travelling all over the north side.  The people you see are interesting.  There was a business man playing candy crush, countless bogans with their big brown beards and their sunburned skin, and the uptight lady staring straight ahead listening to upbeat rap and pop music echoing loudly through her earphones.  Buses really do go everywhere, and I know how they work now, and I'm no longer scared now.


We also spent a whole load of time around lakes


We took photos, photos, polaroids, more photos, and generally appreciated the scenery, chatted about anything and people watched.  There were the skater boys at the skate park, their personal cheerleaders/girlfriends hanging around in their tight leggings and crop tops, not really doing anything.  There was the graffiti by the 12 year old on the public toilets.  There was that group of teens unknowingly sitting under a cross, looking like they were having a Jesus worshipping session.  There was my mum's friend feeding the ducks with her son.

And there was also that day we had a picnic and went paddle boating, and got off the boats soaking wet.  From afar the giant fountain in the middle of the lake looks misty and magical where it hits the water, so for some reason we thought going under it would feel misty and magical too.  It wasn't.  Going under was scary as hell and we couldn't find our way out of the constant heavy rain and my phone is now partially broken thanks to being drenched.

And since this all involved walking, I may as well throw in that time we spent an hour walking to a waterpark to find it wasn't open.



So that was just some of the stuff that went down this summer, and I'm looking forward to the next holidays, but also looking forward to the ten weeks of school ahead.

I believe TN suggested travelling by bus around the entire city, from one end to another, exploring any park or lake or mall or place there is to see.  And I like the idea.  Next holidays maybe?


Love,
M

38 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was definitely a great summer xx

      Delete
  2. Ohh! It sounds like so much fun!! Me and my sister have made lists like this, but it's always "if we get a disease that will kill us, this is what we're doing." You're sounds way more user friendly xp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Maybe you should do those lists because you never know. A disease could come along any minute. You may as well be prepared ;)

      Delete
  3. You had succhhhh a fun summer!!!! I have to make a summer bucket list. I loved this post!

    ~Noor
    a little bit of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You should go make a summer bucketlist! It'll spice your holidays up a little. Thanks Noor!!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! Sounds like fun!! I just lazed about watching the cricket.. LOLZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Yeah normally I laze around a little more, but I've noticed that's changed dramatically over the last year, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

      Delete
  5. I think you're a brilliant genius and now I must set up the same bucket list for myself to complete. I could definitely complete these in a fixed amount of time. Wow you're so brave finishing all these challenges.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yeah I was brave! It took some serious guts and tries to do some of the stuff on that list, so I wish you luck doing it yourself ;)

      Delete
  6. The things you did sound so cool! I loved them! Sounds like you had a great summer. Winter's more than half over here and I'm ready for warmth and no school:)
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. To do cool things you need courage. And I guess courage brings stories to tell, which is pretty much totally worth it. Summer ends this month and I'm not looking forward to that.

      Delete
  7. It seems like you had a great summer! So much fun! :)
    And you had a lot of courage to do some of the things you guys listed... What would've you done if one of the people you were dancing behind suddenly turned around and saw you?

    Salha | Abuhayar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was definitely really fun, and it most definitely took courage. Hmm... I reckon we would've just ran away as we did in every other awkward situation we encountered. I guess I've learnt lately that people are people like us, and their reactions or thought process will be pretty similar, and honestly, they're too absorbed in their own lives for whatever weird thing you do to really matter.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your summer surely sounded fun! I was laughing my butt off when I started reading the part about the pickup lines! That must have been so much fun! :D
    Much love,
    Archie @ eeriefairy.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I'm glad it made you laugh, because it mostly made me really really scared. Talking about it is fun, but the actual line giving takes so much courage it's unreal.

      Delete
  10. That sounded so fun!!! I am British so summer ended for me about 6 months ago!!!!! :(
    I want to go christmas carolling not at christmas ;)
    Another Teen On The Web

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well summer ended about a week ago, which means I have a whole year until it starts again :( At least you only have to wait 6 months!! And it's so awkward but funny at the same time. It's not too late to do some carolling now ;)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Haha it was. And honestly, I find her kind of annoying after a while, but yeah she's funny.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! It definitely was xx

      Delete
  13. This is so sweet!!! Love it, and it sounds so fabulous. :)
    Sophia
    someplaceinthemidst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia. It was so fabulous ;)

      Delete
  14. Those photos look great! And your summer sounds really interesting, I can't wait for summer now. :)

    Sara Wallflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. It definitely was more interesting as usual, and I hope you have an interesting summer too :)

      Delete
  15. Your summer seemed awesome. The bucket list idea was so cool. I loved the one where you had to ask what year it is. It seems like something I would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty cool idea ;) Haha it actually took some courage asking what year it was, and I don't know if she got it, but yeah it was pretty funny :P

      Delete
  16. I wouldn't have been brave enough to do most of those. Good on you for doing it though. I once did a scavenger hunt in the mall with friends that was awesome. We had to find nine people, who were disguised with wigs and stuff. One girl even had a fake belly, it was so much fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man that sounds so fun! So did you have to go up to strangers and be like, hey is your hair fake :') Where do you join these things? How do you even organise one?

      Delete
  17. Your summer sounded amazing, you must have had so much fun! I love your bucket list, I laughed at the Christmas caroling after Christmas one :)


    dancedollymine.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. It was quite awkward actually, but fun at the same time. Sometimes it's nice feeling weird and judged, but because you're purposely doing something abnormal.

      Delete