Monday, 19 January 2015

Malaysia 2k14

Dear Diary,

The thought of leaving Malaysia tomorrow makes me feel like crying.  I'm never going to see Grandma's house again.  I'm not going to see S for another year.  I'm not going to see those funny D boys for a year, and I've only just realised how much I look forward to seeing them whenever we come.  Imagine the amount of stuff ahead of me in this upcoming school year.  I'm both frightened and excited.  It's been a good holiday.  A really good one actually.  There were lazy days, days full of fun activities.  It was on this trip that I felt the most open and confident than I have in possibly my whole life.  I guess it's been a good thing, and hopefully going home it will still stay.  Maybe this holiday has been a big growing point in my life.  Maybe being isolated for a month is exactly what I needed.

Sometimes I wish we'd just have the huge family atmosphere back at home.  I guess I'll never really experience having an aunty or grandparents year long.  But I guess I do have to go back.  And I do have stuff I need to do...

...Malaysia is like my summer place. You know that place they often have in contemporary American books, where the main character spends every summer at some beach house?  That's Malaysia for me.  And before I know it, I'll be back again.

-M

This year was a really good trip.  It's been 2 years since I last visited Malaysia (last year being the first one we've ever missed) and I've certainly changed since then.  So have they.  And now, after 5 weeks, I've reacquainted myself, and I'm missing them all so much.

We spent the first two days acting like tourists.  In my caption on Instagram I joked, Site seeing in the home country.

On the first day we went to Batu Caves.


 
Haha that smart little monkey drinking his Pepsi.


 
 
And those are two of the funny D boys who would look like identical twins if it weren't for their size difference.
 
Then on the second day we explored a little of KL.  I'm not really sure where we went actually.  My dad mostly just made us stand in different places and take photos, all of which I don't have a copy of.  Here are some of the ones I took.
 



 
The KL model was actually so amazing.

 
Throughout the trip I also enjoyed a whole load of shopping with my cousin.  H&M and Forever 21 are my new loves.  I'm only wishing we had them in Australia.  I think what I actually bought would require a whole post of it's own ;)
 

 
On one of the days there was this anime convention thing near KLCC (the twin towers).  My cousin and her side of the family, being completely obsessed with anime, obviously went.  And I went to see what was going on.  I'd never really seen anything like this cosplay stuff before.  Honestly, it's kinda weird, especially the cross dressers.  I guess I just can't understand why someone would want to dress up as their favourite character when they already know this character is too perfect to be imitated.  But I guess it's like Halloween any day, right?  I definitely had fun taking photos with them...
 

 
 
Okay.  So here's what I was told...
 
 
That girl is Asuna from SOA
 
 
That one is Misa from the Death Note
 
 
And the green lady is from a game called Dota
 
 
And that guy had better legs than me.
 
The cousins really did spend some quality time together.  All on our phones, playing on the iPad.  Ah how I love these special moments we share.
 

 
Nah.  But we actually did do some stuff together...
 
 

 
T just had to ruin the pic by jumping too early.
 
I also met up with June, seeing as she's gone and ditched us for Malaysia and cute Korean guys.
 
 
And of course Malaysia had all that amazing food!  I can actually tell the difference in my size now that I've come back.  I'm afraid I have a lot of exercise and careful eating up ahead...
 
 
The classic Malaysian coffee shop (that sells all the best and cheapest foods): no doors, no walls, and very unhygienic.

 
Roti canai is a must have!!! ^^
 
 
I grew an appreciation for coconuts


On one of the nights, there was this huge pig on the table.  I didn't eat any...
 

 
Oh those pineapple tarts.  I'm trying to resist the ones sitting downstairs.
 
 
Steeeeaaam boat^^  Pour whatever in and let it boil
 
 
And that was the last supper.  Notice all the fried mee and the satay and more roti canai <3
 
 
QUAY LAPIS for dessert
 
And eventually we had to say our goodbyes and head on back home...
 


 
Here's the polaroids I took in Malaysia, including one of Grandma and Grandpa's house.  They're moving so that's the last time I ever saw it.  A place of childhood memories, gone in a poof.
 
 
Well Malaysia, see you at the end of this year.  I wonder what new memories I'll have by the time I return in December.  I wonder how much I'll have changed.
 
Love,
M


34 comments:

  1. I love that country so much <3

    Visit my blog,
    THE PURPLE ALIEN
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malaysia sure does look stunning, so sad you leaving

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. :( I was sad about leaving too. And adjusting is taking a while...

      Delete
  3. That Roti thing looks almost like Indian food..Monkey's are smart :D
    cool photographs..looks like a fun trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I'm pretty sure it is Indian. They call it roti prata and roti kusung as well. Thanks Neal! It was most definitely fun :D

      Delete
  4. Oh wow that looks amazing, looks like you had a great time! I'm sorry that you feel sad, but at least you'll go back next year c: I want to travel around Malaysia some time when i'm older c:

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I'm just wishing the year would end already so can go back. You should definitely travel to Malaysia!! Although I'm actually not sure what the tourist locations are like other than Batu Caves. I bet it must be beautiful though ;)

      Delete
  5. Hi M, hope you enjoyed your time there, it seems that you and your relatives look really happy. :) Not a fan of Anime and Cosplay either, but their outfits look fun. The kueh lapis and the pineapple tarts look so delicious! And that roti canai is the same as the roti prata in Singapore, I'm not sure why they have different names, but yes, they're really must-haves as you mentioned. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg. This is embarrassing. It's spelt kueh, not quay? Ahaha whoops. But yeah all those foods are to die for and they also call it roti prata in Malaysia. I think it has a whole bunch of names, but I wouldn't really know since I'm never the one that orders. I definitely enjoyed my time and I'm missing those relatives and that food so much! Haha yeah it was fun looking at all the different outfits. I can't wait to go back!

      Delete
  6. Amazing pics!! wow, thats sooo wonderful!!

    What about follow4follow? Would be sooo happy if we would stay in touch!
    xoxo Colli // my blog - tobeyoutiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, this is such a bittersweet post! It looks like you had a lot of fun and that you will have so many memories to look back on! Memories are such wonderful things! Lovely pictures!
    -Lauren <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! Bittersweet is a great way to describe going to Malaysia. On the one hand it's amazing seeing the family and escaping for a month, but on the other leaving and adjusting back to home is too hard to bear.

      Delete
  8. Wow these photos are amazing! I went to Maryland once for an anime convention called Otakon and I saw cosplays as well! Next year I'm going and I'm going to dress up. I hope you had fun :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex!! Woah this anime stuff is really popular, huh? Have fun at the convention and remember to take loads of photos! xx

      Delete
  9. nice pics :)

    http://itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, that looks so fun! You saw a ton of beautiful things while there. It's so sad that you have to leave! I hope you can visit again soon and see all of the people you miss so much.
    - July, http://julyaemmance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks July! It was definitely fun. And I didn't really see that many beautiful things. I just made it seem like I did on this blog ;) The trip was mainly about family <3

      Delete
  11. Lovely pictures!
    I also enjoy going on trips. I love the memories I get from them, like visiting new places, the sceneries I find while walking in foreign cities... I really love that.
    I also find it sad when I have to get back home from an awesome trip... Sometimes I wish I could stay in the other countries a bit longer.

    Salha | Abuhayar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Salha! I know that feeling. It's like when you're there you're on an escape, and nothing can touch you, and you're just blissfully relaxed. Then suddenly you're home and having severe holiday withdrawal symptoms because you've actually gotta get back to your life. But I couldn't have stayed for longer. 5 weeks is like an eternity.

      Delete
  12. wow, your trip looks like it was AMAZING! Yeah, H&M is by far one of my favorite stores too. I hope I can visit my family in Vietnam one day!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    petitepastels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely one of the most amazing holidays I've ever been on, even though I've been to this country over 10 times. I guess growing up to love shopping and visiting your family will do that to you. I hop you get to visit yours one day too xx

      Delete
  13. I want to go there, it looks awesome. The food looks amazing, looks like you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely had a blast. Especially with the food. The food is enough reason to go there ;)

      Delete
  14. Great photos. Looks like a fantastic time

    Made in Mauve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was definitely fantastic xx

      Delete
  15. Aww M :'( I promise I haven't dumped you guys for cute korean guys just yet!!
    I'm already looking forward to your next visit back x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know you haven't <3 But it's cool that there is a cute Korean guy there ;) ;) I'm looking forward to my visit back too

      Delete
  16. Hello sweetie, I want to invite you to join my giveaway, you can win a lovely necklace! :) I hope you join and I hope you win, good luck! By the way Love this post!

    Fashion gets Fierce Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. I'll check it out. And by the way, thanks.

      Delete