Sunday, 28 December 2014

Singapore

It's past midnight here in Malaysia but I don't really care.  I feel like blogging, so that's what I'm doing.  Tonight I've decided to share with you my recent trip to Singapore.

It's where I've spent most of this week, from Monday to Friday, in a hotel on the busiest brightest road in Singapore with 16 other relatives.  Talk about a great Christmas.  The decorations on Orchard Road were pretty bright, and the place was so busy at times we couldn't even move.

First there was the 45 minute flight where my sister took a few pics out the window for me...



And then there's the photos from the beautiful hotel lobby.  Oh how I love hotels




And now, moving on to the actual Singapore site seeing stuff, that day half of us decided to go to Chinatown while the other half stayed back at the hotel.  My dad was having some kind of tourism obsession, although it was more like a photo obsession actually.  Honestly though, I kinda wish I'd stay back.  But Chinatown was nice too.  What I noticed the most was the theme of lanterns


 
 
And the life saving air conditioned temple
 
 
And that really yummy dessert...
 
 
 
Then, that night, I met up with the beautiful June to go shopping down Orchard Road.  It was actually pretty strange, seeing her outside Australia.  It felt as if we were in a whole other dimension, and it was a really fun one.  That night we tried on clothes we'd never wear, walked into an expensive branded shop where we must've angered or surprised the security guard very much, got lectured on Christianity by not-too-bad looking Singaporeans, and were simply two small city girls in a big city across the ocean.


 
 



 
And now moving onto day two, where we went to Little India, which I found absolutely horrible.  The weather was just so bad, going from super hot to super rainy.  My dad took his obsession to the next level, making us all walk for what seemed like forever from Bugis Street, down dangerous looking roads, to Mustafa, which wasn't even great.  Oh how I wish my cousin and I hadn't had a misunderstanding and had just gone to Universal Studios with the young ones instead.  Now that would've been fun.
 
Anyway, here's the few pictures I took around Little India...
 



And when we finally got back onto the train...
 

 

And that night, since we had so much fun and not nearly enough time late night shopping the night before, June and I did it again!  This time I had some shoe mishaps though.  We took photos with the creative Christmas decorations we wouldn't see back home, and had one very interesting glass elevator ride...
 


 
 
And finally on the next day, the family actually did something fun!  We went to Sentosa Island to ride the Luge, do some 4D activities, and look at the long serpent and the Merlion and stuff.
 
Here's a few photos from the chairlift ride up from the Luge
 
 

 
And another few from the observatory, spinning round and round at a snail's pace above Singapore
 
 

 
A sneaky little jungle pic on our way...
 
 
And here's that giant serpent, or "dragon" as my dad called it
 

 
 
Just a little mirror selfie with the fam gang ;)
 
 
And an individual tumblr shot the family still managed to weasel their way into
 
 
Oh yeah, and that creepy looking Merlion...
 
 
And that night was Christmas Eve, when the massive crowd came out and destroyed my chance of getting to Kinokuniya by 10.
 
 
Then Christmas day came, and I was with the relatives.  We took one big photo under the lobby Christmas tree before spreading in our directions.  One side met up with another side, and my internal family joined another, celebrating Christmas with distant relatives in a high class Singaporean house, with 4 floors, a lap pool and an elevator, of which I actually took no photos.
 
I ate loads and didn't exercise at all.  I have to say though, my highlight of Christmas day was going shopping.  We finally did get to Kinokuniya (a very large bookshop) and I was greatly impressed.  The YA section was literally the size of the local bookshop back home.  They had every YA book I could ever think of.  This is the YA section itself, a store of it's own...
 
 
And, later, my cousin and I did a little clothes shopping, spending the leftovers of our Singaporean money.  My favourite clothing shop, Valleygirl (named Temt in Somerset 313) gave me a nice surprise by being 50% off everything.  I dragged my mum to the shop and managed to buy myself a stack of clothing, with nothing over $10 and the majority at $5.  I must say, it was a pretty good Christmas.
 
But on Boxing Day we left, not even taking advantage of the further sales, and instead flying off to KL once again.
 
Now, I wonder if any of you have gotten far enough to be reading this sentence here.
 
Love,
M


39 comments:

  1. Wow..amazing photographs :D
    Little India?is that like place full of Indian markets and stuff or just a random name given?

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neal! Little India was like an Indian Chinatown, full of shops and markets and stuff. I reckon I would've enjoyed it if the weather weren't so bad and my dad actually let us stop at some of those nice shops.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Neal, I agree with M! It has Indian shops and the Indian culture there is really rich. :) Little India is pretty busy during Deepavali (Diwali) and Thaipusam. There's some prata shops too. In Singapore we have three main races - Chinese, Malay and Indian, so there's bound to be attractions like these. :)

      M, have you been to Kampong Glam or Geylang Serai in Singapore? That's where you can get a taste of the Malay culture. :)

      Delete
    3. nice..learning something new everyday :)
      We have Tibetian market like that..They have a lot of stuff from Tibet :)
      Yeah every Indian market is busy during Diwali :)

      Delete
  2. Great pictures!
    And yes, I did read until that last sentence :)
    The book shop looks huge! I would have had a lot of fun in there... I would have probably bought loads of books too...

    Salha | Abuhayar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Salha! Haha I can see that ;) The bookshop was definitely impressive! That was just the section of books I enjoy reading. Imagine how huge the rest of it was! I just felt like grabbing a handful of books and running out of there. That place would've turned me into a criminal :P

      Delete
  3. Great post! Singapore looks really beautiful and fun :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! It really was great!

      Delete
  4. That looks so nice! I can't wait until I go on holidays!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I hope you get to go on a holiday soon xx

      Delete
  5. You are one great photographer! Oooh midnight shopping, that sounds like fun!

    Lucy @ My Little Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy. It was mostly the instagram filters that did all the work ;) And late night shopping was definitely so fun under the Christmas lights and consecutive malls for kilometres down.

      Delete
  6. Hi M! I'm from Singapore! It's a beautiful city, isn't it? I've been to most of the places you've mentioned, but I've never been to the Luge. Orchard Road always looks great at night during Christmas because of the lights. Hope you enjoyed your time here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so cool that you're from such a beautiful city!! I definitely enjoyed my time among the shops and Christmas lights. As a native Singaporean, I definitely think you should make your way to Sentosa Island and ride that Luge ;)

      Delete
  7. Looks like a heap of fun! :D Are you a Christian? Or were the Singaporeans Christians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it was! :D I'm leaning towards Christianity more than any other religion, but I can't quite say I'm a Christian myself. The Singaporeans there were definitely Christian though.

      Delete
    2. Hahah cool :) I'm a Christian myself :D

      Delete
  8. Great pictures! Seems like so much fun! I did get all the way to read the last sentence xD

    -Kathie K
    http://climbingthroughtomorrow.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Kathie! It was definitely fun, and taking photos was part of the enjoyment ;)

      Delete
  9. Singapore sounds awesome and oh boy, 50% discount shopping xD
    I love this little travel series you're doing, especially the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Catalina. I'm enjoying writing about travelling (when I actually do get to travel) and taking photos along the way. That 50% discount was definitely pretty awesome xx

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks!! I love taking them :)

      Delete
  11. Awesome pictures! I really love that striped dress! :)

    Love,
    Christina ♥
    cinapeh.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina!! I really liked that dress too. It was from Forever 21 and I'm only wishing I could afford it...

      Delete
  12. This trip looks like SO MUCH fun. I'd love to visit here one day!
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS Jenny!! You definitely should visit Singapore xx

      Delete
  13. I've never been to Singapore, but it looks and sounds great. Shame about Little India, I guess if you ever go again you can go to Universal Studios instead!

    India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singapore was great! you should definitely go there some time. Little India was a pretty okay experience I guess, but Universal Studios definitely would've been a lot of fun!!

      Delete
  14. I got far enough to read the sentence ;)

    You should have on to universal studios! I've been to the one in Florida and it was amazing. Looks fab a fab trip, regardless!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Corinne ;) I really should've considering I haven't been in a rollercoaster in such a long time, but I have been to the one in LA and it really was amazing. xx

      Delete
  15. ahh this looked like so much fun! Would love to go to Singapore one day. xx

    -- from18tolife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun!! And I hope you do get to travel there some day xx

      Delete
  16. The other night my dad for some weird reason was talking about little India and how amazing it is. Your so lucky you got to go to Sentosa though, when i went my mum made me walk around the island and i don't even think we went on the chair lift. These pictures are so amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Your dad and my dad should go for a talk coz they're clearly the only ones who want to go to the place. Sentosa has so much more stuff! But I opted to go with my parents instead of my aunty :( So I missed out on a whole other day there.

      Delete
  17. This is such a cute post ;') I'm glad you enjoyed Singapore!
    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha we look so cute June :') I definitely did!! <3

      Delete