Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Escape the Country

Here I am, on a plane over the ocean, no longer on the remote island of Australia anymore.  Lucky for us, we managed to take off before they closed the airport, due to the Lindt café hostages in Sydney.  I've now been here for over 5 hours and it’s actually killing me.  I want nothing more than to be off this plane and out of this seat.  But you know what?  It’s still worth it.


It’s that time of year where I have to take the 3 hour bus ride and 8 hour plane ride to Malaysia, as we’ve done every year since I can remember.  I’ve always loved going overseas.  Not the transportation part, but the part where I get to escape the country.
 
 
It’s funny.  I didn’t realise how much I needed to until last year, when we were unable to go to Malaysia for unlucky reasons.  I had spent the majority of summer trapped in Melbourne, longing to be in the Malaysian heat with the relatives.
 
So here’s three things I am definitely looking forward to in Malaysia.

The food
Malaysian food is delicious.  There’s no denying that.  There’s nasi lemak (coconut rice with curry and stuff), roti canai (a type of bread), satay (which they make really really well) and bahkuteh (a kind of soup and meat thing).  And although you can find Malaysian restaurants pretty much everywhere, they never make it quite the same, or as cheap, as Malaysia does.
 
Malaysia even makes amazing Italian food, cooking pasta in their own little Asian style way.  Seriously.  Even the Pizza Hut there tastes better.  I mean, sure, their way of cooking is majorly oily and unhealthy, but as long as it tastes good, I’m not complaining.  It looks like there’s a couple of unwanted kilos heading my way.
 
 
The relatives
Grandma lives in Malaysia.  Grandpa lives in Malaysia.  Poh Poh and Koong Koong live in Malaysia.  All the aunties, uncles and cousins live in Malaysia.  Pretty much everyone does except for my family, which is kinda random actually.  So every year for a month, we get to see the relatives, who spoil us with presents and buy stuff for us.
 
On my dad’s side pretty much everyone is obsessed with wifi.  Whilst in the house, every single person can be guaranteed to be on a device.  Grandpa even owns portable wifi, which means we can use the internet in the mall, which they visit literally every weekend.  Grandpa is cool.
 
On my mum’s side we usually stay with my uncle in his huge air conditioned house.  Yeah.  It’s pretty comfortable.
I can’t say I’m that close to any of these relatives, but I do enjoy talking to my cousins, kinda.  There’s one who’s my age, so it’s cool seeing what life’s like for her, being like me but in a different culture.

The shopping
Malaysia is honestly so much cheaper than Australia!  I’m planning on getting myself more summer clothing, some nice sandals (with wedge heels), cheaper polaroid film and everything I can find that I like really.
 
But I reckon I’m just most looking forward to the idea of escaping the country.  I won’t be in the house I’ve been stuck in for much too long, watching TV or doing whatever it is I do.  I won’t be looking at the same roads and houses every day, seeing the same people when I meet up.  I won’t have to worry about meeting up at all.  I’ll be in a totally different country.  It’s a little like disconnecting, although I’m most definitely not sacrificing my phone.  That’s still going to be checked all too often, using Grandpa’s wifi of course ;). 
 
 
Now how am I going to talk without sounding like a complete bogan?  Stupid Australian accents.
Love,
M

28 comments:


  1. I would like to invite you to my blog as well! I would be so happy if we support each other on GFC, Facebook and maybe Instagram!
    Do it and let me know! xx

    Blog | Facebook Page | Bloglovin | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay xx I'm checking out your blog now.

      Delete
  2. There is something really sweet and funny about this post :D
    I don't think my grandmother even knows what a wifi is let alone protable wifi XD
    Oil and unhealthy way of cooking heart of all asian countries food even India :P
    Wonderful photographs :D

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha is that funny thing the fact that this post has a weird different font? ;)
      Yeah my grandpa is pretty cool, but the grandparents on the other side are the same as your grandmother.
      Gotta love Asian countries ;) How do these Asians manage to stay so small?
      Thanks Neal!!

      Delete
  3. Your Grandpa has portable WiFi?! Why, my own FATHER doesn't know how to use a computer, let alone know about WiFi! But he's a busy farmer, so it's okay, right?!

    I am in serious envy of your travels right now! It's so cold in Ireland, and I can't deal with it anymore! Escaping to the country will be such a revitalizing trip to free your mind and reacquaint yourself with good old mother nature!
    Have lots of fun! xx
    Golden Ducklings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yup totally fine. My grandpa just loves his grandkids so much he provides internet everywhere. :')

      Ireland sounds absolutely amazing!! The hot and humid weather here is doing weird things to my skin and my hair and my everything. And I can't say I'm doing anything with mother nature. Here it's all about the phones and the internet ;) At least that's what my family's like.

      Thanks Rachel!

      Delete
  4. Shopping seems wonderful there! I've never been to Malaysia, but all my relatives live there and one day I do plan to go. I hope you have a wonderful time,and don't get me started on how much I love receiving red envelopes for Christmas/New Years/Birthdays!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. Those red envelopes are life. It's one of the perks to being Chinese ;) ;) Haha. You should definitely go to Malaysia one day!!

      Delete
  5. The food looks delicious!

    xx
    http://blogbylinni.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. My day today has been dominantly eating.

      Delete
  6. Have a good trip! Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ella! It's been a pretty good trip so far. :)

      Delete
  7. Have a wonderful time there :)

    -Kathie K
    http://climbingthroughtomorrow.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathie! I definitely am.

      Delete
  8. MALAYSIA IS BEAUTIFUL.

    Shopping is a definite must. Everything's a lot cheaper and if you're into Asian fashion like I am (ULZZANG KOREAN FASHION) then it's like paradise. There's a lot of malls just for shopping and I am 100% sure you will find a mall for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MALAYSIA DEFINITELY IS BEAUTIFUL!!

      Haha I've been to two malls here already today, but neither were that big. They were just local. I can't wait to go to Sunway Pyramid though! Man I love that mall. I'm not sure what you mean by Asian fashion, but I sure do wanna find out ;)

      Delete
  9. You've definitely just tempted me to visit Malaysia! I've always wanted to go, but with your description of things there now I HAVE to! Great pictures, hope you have an amazing time!

    M ^.^ X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should visit Malaysia, just for the food even. Haha. Thanks Meghan!! ;) xx

      Delete
  10. Malaysia seems awesome! You're one of my favourite bloggers! My Life In A Tab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks Neri. I love your blog too. Malaysia is awesome ;).

      Delete
  11. Your Gramps is so cool! Have fun in Malaysia dear!

    Life With Antlers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! He really is. ;)

      Delete
  12. Have fun on the rest of your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jollygirl! I'll just be eating a lot. I'm full of this poison already.

      Delete
  13. Oh~ must be nice, getting to travel to a different country. I've never been outside of the Philippines D: which sucks, because I really want to go to Disneyland D:
    Anyway~ I've always wanted to visit Malaysia too. Seeing those pictures just officially made me hungry, haha. But aside from eating amazing food, I think shopping would definitely be something to look forward too :D
    Have fun on your trip M :)

    - The Reading Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Who doesn't want to go to Disneyland? Malaysia is definitely a good place to go to for food and shopping though ;) Thanks Izzy! I hope you have the opportunity to leave the Philippines soon. xx

      Delete
  14. mhmmm Malaysian food! <3
    The plane ride to Singapore wasn't that enjoyable either... I got so bored after the first 2 hours.
    Enjoy your holiday M xx and see you soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man this Malaysian food June :( My tummy is filled with fat rolls that are impossible to be rid of, and I feel so so sick. Why don't they have healthy un-oily food here??? :'(
      But yess I'll see you soon June! Maybe I'll pay you a visit tomorrow ;)

      Delete