Friday, 28 November 2014

The Grateful Blogger Tag


So I believe it's Thanksgiving today or tomorrow in America.  You're all going on holiday or meeting up with family and eating turkeys and stuff, right?  Well here in Australia, we don't actually celebrate Thanksgiving.  Although, I was still tagged in this lovely little thing by India @the Tudda Pudda Diaries and I've decided to do this because being grateful and appreciative is a really good thing, and I'd like to join in with this whole Thanksgiving thing a little.  Feeling left out by stereo-typical Americans is not a nice feeling.

Here's what I have to do:
  • Thank the person who nominated me and leave a link for them
  • Write about 10 things I'm grateful for, and they actually have to be deep.  So no saying "I like videogames harhar".  I have to think about what's important, and also state why.
  • Tag 10 bloggers and comment on their blog, letting them know they've been tagged
  • Add the pic above
Now it's time to be a little grateful for once...

1) Words

 
Lately I've been pretty appreciative of words.  First of all, they're used for the obvious reason, to talk, to communicate in every day life.  But these powerful letters strung into words, into sentences, into paragraphs can tell so many things.  I use them to decipher thoughts one by one, making myself understand bit by bit.  I use them to share fantasies in stories, to share truths on this blog, to relate to so many other people.  Words are in books, where I can be entertained.  I guess they can inspire too sometimes, when you catch that perfect phrase that sums up everything.  I'm grateful that we have words.

2) Friends


They just make you feel like you belong, and they make life so much more interesting.  We go through things together, being the same age and going through life and school at around the same pace, seeing each other every single day.  We laugh together over so many things, and do stuff together, and are an outlet for each others' little rants.  Then, at the same time, friendships cause drama and hurt.  There are disagreements, over-analysations and so many insecurities.  When you can feel as if you belong, one action can make you feel the opposite, and it hurts.  Not being invited hurts.  Missing out hurts.  Feeling replaced hurts.  Fighting hurts.  As I said, friendships make everything more interesting.

3) Choices


We can choose to do anything, be whatever we want to be.  Isn't that just amazing?  We can choose where we stand among people, who we want to be friends with, what we want to do as a career, how we spend our free time, whether to be happy or not.  That's the thing so many people don't realise.  You can choose whatever you want, to take whatever path you want.  Everything is up to you, everything is under your control, and that's something to be grateful for.

4) Social media


They say the world is now a global community, that it is so easy to simply contact anyone through the internet, to share anything through the internet, and I actually really appreciate that.  We have our mainstream social media such as instagram or snap chat, where we can see what all our friends, family, acquaintances and celebrities are up to, and then there's platforms like this blog, where I can share whatever I want in my own little corner.  I'm able to get my message out, show everyone the little things in life that I feel like writing about, and that's so so great.  Browsing social media can inspire.  Posting can make you heard.

5) Family


It's dysfunctional, but it's unconditional love.  The amount of crap I pull with my family is so not funny, but then they do the same.  It's all good.  I still love them.  The fact that I can say that makes me feel so grateful.  Sure, I may not feel like spending time with them, and they may not really relate to me, but they still know me the best, and they'll still love me no matter what.  I have a mother who is a little psycho but still shops with me and has deep mother-daughter discussions with me.  Then there's my dad who's such a dork but teaches me so much.  And there's my sister, who barely talks to me anymore but is the most relatable and gives me someone to team up with in life, no matter the circumstances.  Love you family <3

6) Opportunities


I'm fairly privileged, going to a private school where I'm babied and everything is up for grabs if you just ask, work for it or go for it.  And then there's so many opportunities for the future.  There's so many places to apply for work experience, so many subjects to choose from in year 12.  Everything is set up for me.  All I have to do is grab it and work at it.  It's all actually a possibility, and that's something to be grateful for.  I've realised that I haven't grabbed for so many things I've wanted to do in the last two years, due to insecurities or the fact that none of my friends were doing it.  It's time to ask to do what I think sounds good, to use my opportunities to create many more.  It's unbelievable that anything is possible.

7) Free TV


Is it shallow (or illegal) that I'm putting this on my list?  I'm just really really grateful for all those episodes uploaded onto the internet.  I'm grateful for websites like Megashare, Project Free TV and Watchseries.  I'm not even kidding.  They've actually made my days so much more entertaining.  I've been able to have my own little marathons, my own little interesting lives to watch, and I'm grateful.

8) Nature


Okay, I'm not like a naturistic person or anything, but you have to admit, the world is pretty beautiful.  I mean, how did it all turn out like this, through all of evolution.  It's a miracle that these plants, animals, the sky, everything exists just by chance.  It's just by chance that we exist.  We should all be pretty damn grateful about that.

9) My nationality


The image above is supposed to be Chinese calligraphy of the word mei, which means beautiful, and is also my mum's name.  Although, I admit, I can't actually speak Chinese so that may or may not embarrassingly be the wrong character.  The point is, I'm grateful to be Asian, Chinese-Malaysian to be exact.  It sets me apart from so many people where I live, having parents who were brought up differently, having the classic black hair, brown eyes, and slightly darker skin.  I don't know if I'm just imagining it, but I feel as if Asians have connections to other Asians.  Like, when we see another Asian we immediately kind of want to talk to each other, or seem to relate to each other a little.  Or is that just me being random?  I'm not saying most of my friends are Asian, because most of them aren't, but I'm saying I'm pretty proud to be Asian and I'm grateful to have a second nationality that allows me to experience a different culture and go overseas once a year.  If only I could learn Chinese.

10) Society


We can have whatever job we want.  We can study what we want.  We have social guidelines and taxes and systems of trade and systems for everything really, and they pretty much work.  Isn't that fantastic?  So much of the world is so advanced, and getting more advanced each day.  We're humane, we believe in equality, we believe in freedom of speech.  I mean, sure society does have many issues, but think of all the perfection we've managed to achieve.  There's an infinite amount of ways humans could have turned out.  There's an infinite amount of morals we could have.  Yet we ended up like this.  We ended up with this system, with this world, and it's pretty close to a utopia if you ask me.

So as you can see there's plenty of things to be grateful for in this infinite world.  There's these 10 things that are evident, and then there's so much more. 

Here's my 10 nominees

Athina @Between My Lines
Kei @Your Daily Dose of Everything
Monique @Mo_Books
Corinne @skinnedcartree
Anna @a whole lot of chitty chat
Katie @Lillies of Grace
Kathie @A Sea Change
Amanda @Black Widow
Miriam @It's My Life
Irene @Irene Elisabeth

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans!

And try being grateful today anyway everyone else.

Love,
M

57 comments:

  1. Free TV..there's nothing better than that XD
    You're god damn right we should be grateful to nature :D
    Chinese is one the languages I would like to learn someday and I hope that I do learn it :P

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Free TV is one of the many wonders of the world. Haha. And I'm glad someone agrees with my nature comment, although I honestly don't even like the outdoors very much. Same here for the Chinese...

      Delete
  2. Omg I'm Malaysia too! Although I don't live there! :) Really great post, sometimes I wished we celebrated Thanksgiving, everyone would be more appreciative. And chinese is real hard trust me, even though I'm Chinese I really suck at it. Or maybe its just me haha.

    Colorful Closets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another Malaysian! Thanksgiving just sounds like an amazing holiday, with all the gratefulness and food and stuff. And hey at least you know Chinese! I'm absolutely clueless, and it's seriously so embarrassing when people ask me if I know it, or just assume I do.

      Delete
  3. SO lucky, (IMO) I LOVE Chinese! And oooh, I like the things you've listed.
    This tag is a good way to get to know more about the person and how their life is...kinda lol
    And yeah, although there are times where I think social media is stupid and lazy, it is actually one of the best things invented. These aren't the days were we have to hand write letters, to get them to our loved ones anymore.
    Without Twitter and Blogger, I wouldn't have been able to find people with similar interests as me, so easyily.
    So yeah, that's pretty cool.

    Zhew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah I guess you can tell a lot about my life through this. Social media can be stupid in terms of how obsessed we can get, but we're only getting obsessed because we're actually communicating or sharing with people with similar interests, or getting ourselves a little notice. I'm not saying you shouldn't meet up with real friends face to face though.

      Delete
  4. Watchseries, don't know what I would have done without it? xD
    Love your answers! Epecially #3 and #6. Not everybody realizes how important they are or how they're lucky to have choices or opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watchseries <3 I totally understand. Thanks Kathie! It is pretty awesome how much of our life we can control, and how easy it is to just get what we want if we try.

      Delete
  5. Great post :D
    We all should count our blessings.

    I just followed you on GFC, would mean a lot to me if you do the same :D
    and if you like we can follow each other on blogovin too.
    http://programmerstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We definitely should. I'm checking out your blog now xx

      Delete
  6. Nice post

    vnssachn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great list of things to be grateful for. Thank you for the nomination! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miriam. No problem. I can't wait to read your post!!

      Delete
  8. Nice blog :) Would you like to follow each other ? :)
    http://blog017.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oliwia. I'm checking out your blog now :)

      Delete
  9. Very lovely tag! Happy weekend. xo


    Kenny,
    WHATKENNYHEARTS.COM
    FOLLOW ME ON BLOGLOVIN
    LIKE WKH ON FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kenny! You have a good weekend too ;)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the nomination! I am thankful for free TV too :D

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Corinne. I can't wait to see your post. And free TV really is amazing <3 What would we even do without it?

      Delete
  11. What a lovely Tag! Like it :)
    i follow new with GFC ,want you follow back?

    Many Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like this tag too. Checking out your blog now.

      Hugs right back to you :)

      Delete
  12. I love reading this tag! Such a good initiative to let people think about what they are grateful for!

    Melane | Pure Perspective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this tag is pretty great <3 I'm glad you enjoyed reading xx

      Delete
  13. What a great post, M! :)
    Thanks so much the nomination and for stopping by my blog too.
    Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Athina! I can't wait for your post. You have a good weekend too :)

      Delete
  14. Hey,
    I really like your Blog! Do you want to support each other and follow via GFC?
    But only if you like my Blog too :)

    Greetings, Sophia xx
    sophias-fashion.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia. I'm checking out your blog now xx

      Delete
  15. good luck..nice post nice blog...nice to meet you...i'm from Indonesia thx...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great post! I think it's so important to stop and be grateful for things :)

    Chelsea
    Chowing Down by the Bay
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea! It definitely is important to be appreciative xx

      Delete
  17. Choices is so true. I'm so thankful that I am able to choose and have different opportunities in my life. Don't feel left out, love that you wanted to participate anyway, love.

    www.thejuiceboxqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really are lucky to be in control of what we want. Haha thanks for including me <3

      Delete
  18. Thank you for thinking of me. I had no idea that Australia did not celebrate thanksgiving, who wouldn't want a holiday to stuff their face? Lol even though it has come & gone I will still be participating.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post and it was lovely <3 Australia doesn't celebrate it and I don't know why either. Stuffing my face and being grateful and all that sounds so much fun!

      Delete
  19. thank you so much for the nomination my dear.
    I will make a post about this soon.
    :)


    Ms. Kei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      am done with
      THE GRATEFUL BLOGGER TAG
      here is the link to my post:
      http://keileidoscopic.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-grateful-blogger-tag.html



      Ms. Kei

      Delete
    2. That's great! I'm checking it out now xx

      Delete
  20. Such a lovely post:)
    The list of things you're grateful for is pretty similar to mine!:)
    And you know what, I think your Chinese name suits you perfectly <3 Although it's slightly interesting that you and your mom share the same name haha!
    In love with this post <3
    June
    The Journeys of My Beating Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lol. My mum and I don't share the same name. It's just her's. I don't even know what my Chinese name means. And thanks so much Juney!! <3

      Delete
  21. Great post! <3
    Would you like to follow each other?
    Follow me and I'll follow back! xx

    http://ohmymascara.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking out your blog now xx Thanks

      Delete
  22. Hi M!
    I'm thankful for my nationality too. I love being from two amazing cultures. My mother is Mexican, which is the best! And my father is Nicaraguan. Nicaraguans are not as popular as the common Latin communities in the U.S. but there still are Nicaraguan communities, you just have to find us! And i also have some Italian and Chinese ancestors.
    You are right about the connections people have with others of the same race. I thought I was the only one who felt like that too! :)
    I am also very grateful that we have the resources to learn about our past ancestors. I enjoy scooping up any info about cultures from around the world. It's such a wonderful gift to have such diverse families, I'm very grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. You sound like you have an amazing culture. I love the diverseness of the world and how we're able to gather information about so many different ways of living without discriminating or judging. That connection is also definitely not imaginary ;)

      Delete
  23. This is such a nice post! I kind of wish we did celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, not in the way of the same tradition as America, but I love the whole family getting together, eating lots of food and saying what they're thankful for.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tegan!! I wish we celebrated Thanksgiving too :( Saying thanks and eating are very important things in life!!!

      Delete
  24. Followed you. Waiting for you to follow back! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People don't tell you who you are, you tell them.

      Delete
  25. This is a great post, M! I loved all these things and am thankful. I find myself being more thankful for my friends and family than ever before, especially since I've finally found friends who I can be myself around. Crazy. Awkward. You know.
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes I know ;) That's what friends are all about, right!? I'm glad you're thankful for your family and friends xx

      Delete