Friday, 7 November 2014

1989 - Taylor Swift


So I finally got my hands on the hard copy of Taylor's new album, 1989.  I've been wanting to post my love for my new favourite songs for a while now, but I just couldn't do it without one of these polaroid photos...


What do you think the chances of Taylor #taylurking and seeing this are? ;)


Anyway, moving onto the album, if you couldn't tell already, I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH IT!!  I started listening to it last week when I couldn't take the fact that my local Target had ran out of stock, so I used other means of downloading and have been playing it on repeat ever since.  While jogging, taking a shower, in art class, maths class, in the car to school... It's a new soundtrack, I could dance to this beat forevermore (did you get that lyric reference?). Aha.


Have any of you noticed the way Taylor's sorta grown up?  She went from being a fantasizing teen, to a teen experiencing love, and it got to the point where love was what she thought brought happiness.  I feel as if in this album she's more carefree.  She's focusing more on herself than being in love, and she's got a new perspective on all of it. 

She's writing about how love is like a game, and it'll always be hard, but sometimes playing the game is worth the fun.  She's got a Blank Space for a new guy, and can't wait to see how it'll end.  And while it lasts, it's like they're in Wonderland, where life was never worse but never better.  And then, when it's over, it'll be hard to become Clean, but that's just the price she has to pay.  

She's also written about learning how to Shake it Off to all those haters, and knowing places to hide from the judging eyes.  I think Taylor's coming to peace with the ever present critics and paparazzi.

If that wasn't over-analysing enough, here's a few thoughts on each song, including the code message within each lyric book, this time in lower-case letters contrasting with the capitals the lyrics were written in.



Welcome to New York
Took our broken hearts // Put them in a drawer
Everybody here was someone else before
 
Secret message: We begin our story in New York
 
Well, I read the foreword so I know this song is about Taylor moving to New York, a place she'd always been overwhelmed by.  But she says she knows who she is and what she wants, so good on her!  I'm honestly really envious.
 
 
 
Blank Space
So it's gonna be forever // Or it's gonna go down in flames
You can tell me when it's over // If the high was worth the pain
 
Secret message: There was once a girl known by everyone and no one
 
This is actually my favourite song in the whole album!  I think Taylor's learning that love is a game, and there is no fairytale.  But she's still liking this game, and she may just have a blank space for ya ;)  But she's already warned you that She's a nightmare dressed like a daydream. 
 
 
Style
And when we go crashing down // We come back every time
'Cause we never go out of style
 
Secret message: Her heart belonged to someone who couldn't stay
 
A very stylish couple goes round and round cos they never go out of style.  He couldn't stay though... and that's all I got.
 
 
Out of the Woods
Baby like we stood a chance // Two paper aeroplanes flying
 
Secret message: They loved each other recklessly
 
I just have the feeling she's singing about Harry Styles, with the recklessness and necklace and all.  But anyway, that's not important.  Basically, their love could never last, and Taylor was wondering if they were out of the hard part of the relationship yet, but the truth is, you're never out of the woods.
 
 
All You Had to Do was Stay
People like you always want back // The love they pushed aside
But people like me are gone forever // When you say goodbye
 
Secret message: They paid the price
 
She loved him with all her heart, but then he left and she realised how much of a bastard he was.  He could've had her if only he stayed.
 
 
Shake it Off
But I keep cruising // Can't stop won't stop moving
 
Secret message: She danced to forget him
 
Just block out the haters and the critics.  All these people don't matter.  Shake off their comments.  They don't know you as well as you do, so it's your opinion that matters.
 
 
I Wish You Would
I wish you knew that // I miss you too much to be mad anymore
 
Secret message: He drove past her street each night.
 
He drives past her house at 2am every night (a little creepy but you know...).  She misses him.  And do they get back together?  Who knows.
 
 
Bad Blood
Band-Aids don't fix bullet holes // You say sorry just for show
 
Secret message: She made friends and enemies
 
He hurt her real bad, ruined everything, and she'll never forgive him.
 
 
Wildest Dreams
Say you'll remember me // Standing in a nice dress
Staring at the sunset.
 
Secret message: He only saw her in his dreams
 
She's reciting memories, hoping he still remembers and sees her in his dreams.
 
 
 
How You Get the Girl
Remind her how it used to be // Pictures in frames
Of kisses on cheeks
 
Secret message: Then one day he came back
 
You know how sometimes you make fantasies in your head and wish they'd come true?  Well I think Taylor's doing that.  She's wishing he'd come back, say these things, and she's telling him that's how he can come back into her life.
 
 
This Love
This love is alive // Back from the dead
 
Secret message: Timing is a funny thing
 
I think Taylor's feeling nostalgic, thinking back to this love.
 
 
I Know Places
I can hear them whisper as we pass by // Bad sign...
Something happens when everybody finds out
 
Secret message: And everyone was watching
 
It's like that scene at the beginning of a teen flick, where the main character walks into school and all eyes are on her.  When Taylor gets a new boyfriend that's what happens, and she's gotta know places to hide ;)
 
 
Clean
You're still all over me like a wine stained dress // I can't wear anymore
 
Secret message: She lost him but she found herself and somehow that was everything
 
She's trying to get over the guy, and wash away all the remains of him, and discover herself again.  This is one of my favourites.
 
 
Wonderland
And in the end in Wonderland // We both went mad
 
I absolutely loved the Alice in Wonderland references.  I guess being in love must be like being in Wonderland.  It's a little mad, extreme, intense, and crazy.
 
 
You Are In Love
One night he wakes // Strange look, his face
Pauses then says // You're my best friend
 
Taylor's feeling nostalgic again, singing about certain events of a relationship, when she knew she was in love.
 
 
New Romantics
Heartbreak is the national anthem // We sing it proudly
 
As I said, she's discovered love isn't a fairytale.  It hurts, it's hard and there'll be fighting.  But there's also the good parts.  Sometimes it's a battle and sometimes it's a dream.  It's all a game.  Although I think Taylor's also being a little sarcastic in this song, saying that leaving her stranded is so romantic.
 
 
 
And that was Taylor's newest CD, 1989, which is the year she was born if you didn't already realise that.  Don't be a Taylor hater, or someone who says they're an 'original fan'.  This album really is amazing, and you can see how that You Belong With Me girl has grown up.
 
Love,
M







57 comments:

  1. She is great singer and I love her style as well! I follow you back via GFC as Iwona Zając, dear :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess! Taylor is amazing. Thanks <3

      Delete
  2. I haven't yet listened to any of the new songs, or picked up this album, but I'm really curious to see the differences from past ones. They sound like really good songs, and I love the Polaroid pictures. =)
    ~Adi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should pick up the album! It's a different style but it's still Taylor, just a little altered. The polaroids are pretty cool ;)

      Delete
    2. I should! If not, I still will listen to some of the songs online. =)
      ~Adi

      Delete
  3. I adore her, listened it, loved it XDD
    majnira.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha me too!! XD Checking out your blog now xx

      Delete
  4. Although I've only listened to 'Welcome to NYC' and 'Shake It Off', I know I will love the rest. Love the Polaroid pics!

    Lucy @ My Little Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely will Lucy ;) She's just wow, and those polaroids are just wow <3

      Delete
  5. I only have the digital copy, but i love the album

    www.dicexcvi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I had the digital copy and loved it for a week too. Haha.

      Delete
  6. I don't see how anyone could hate on Tay Tay. She is awesome lol I do really like this new album too!

    Bree
    x Don't miss out on my Amazon GC giveaway! x
    http://quirkybrownlove.blogspot.com/2014/11/qbls-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tay Tay is awesome!!! And I'm glad you do Bree ;) Checking out your blog. xx

      Delete
  7. check me out

    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com
    bloglovin.com/theluxedition

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg taylor is so beautiful! i love her new songs :)
    __________________________________________________
    Hope you follow my blog ‘Heylinni’ at:
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/4923497
    Let me know if you do and want me to follow back!
    Us bloggers should support each other ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true and ME TOO!! Already following you xx

      Delete
  9. Awesome post! I totally LOVE Taylor. ;) I like Shake it Off, it has a good message, but I feel like she's slowly moving away from the good-girl thing. It makes me sad, but I still like her. ;)

    Sophia.xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Taylor too. And you're right about the shedding of her previous image. When I first listened to some of the songs I actually didn't like them, because I thought she was changing too much. Then I realised people do change, and she sounds so much happier. Her songs are still amazing, reflecting who she is.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Yeah. They really are <3 Taylor has such great ideas ;)

      Delete
  11. Great post! I am so in love with You Are In Love, Wildest Dreams, Blank Space, and Bad Blood! Though I do miss her old stuff like Speak Now and Fearless. But I still like her :)

    ~Carina @myaddictionbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess! I love all these songs too haha. And what's to miss when all these old songs are still on our ipods at our fingertips? I certainly haven't deleted any of her old songs.

      Delete
  12. I love Taylor so much. She's so beautiful, inside and out. Can't wait to listen to this album!
    Xoxo
    Grace Anne
    http://totallygraced.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... you definitely should. Can't wait for you to listen to this album and have your mind blown xx

      Delete
  13. Love the Polaroid pictures!:)
    I'm not a huge Taylor swift fan...this post makes me wonder why I havent paid much attention to her songs. So now, I'm here listening to " I wish you would" :))
    Such a great post M xx
    P.s love the selfie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES JUNE!! Go listen to Taylor and her amazing poetry and you'll be hooked. Just listen to the lyrics for once. Haha YAY!! And thanks for the selfie comment ;)

      Delete
  14. The polaroid pictures are so cute! I definitely think she has grown up a lot too, and she seems a lot happier for it! :)

    India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are <3 And she definitely has and does. Isn't it amazing how fans are able to pick up on that?

      Delete
  15. AH! I love this album so much! It's great you posted a review. Wasn't it cool how the secret messages told a story? At first, I didn't understand them, but now I do. Some people are upset at her for switching to pop, but I still hear meaningful lyrics, no matter what genre it is, and I know it's Taylor. My favorite song from it might be "How To Get The Girl." The meaning you posted was exactly what I thought it was. At first, I was concerned with "Blank Space." It didn't really seem the her, the lyrics didn't. "Be that girl for a month, anyway." But then I heard her say that she wrote the song as a joke, based on the character the press made her out to be. You know, how they say she dates guys for songwriting material. That's her new single. I'm excited to see what she does with it.

    Okay, enough fangirling for me. Love this post!
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha YESS!!! It's so cool and I love deciphering her songs to figure out what's going on. With Blank Space, I think she's realising that love's a game but you're right about her writing it as the media thinks she is. She is a little sarcastic. Haha. Wow. I love these albums because I feel as if we're getting a little peek into her life through a catchy tune.

      Delete
  16. I'm so sorry that I've been gone so long from you blog :( But I'm back! I actually haven't heard her new album yet *winces*, and should be doing that soon, but in the mean time, I love how she included secret messages in her songs. That's such a cool idea! Glad you are loving the album.
    - July, http://julyaemmance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks July!! No problem but you should definitely listen to this album!! Haha yeah those secret messages are pretty awesome.

      Delete
  17. I love your blog! I haven't heard any of Taylor's new songs yet but after this post I will be sure to check them out. Thanks, could you help me out and check out my blog, maybe follow if you like it x
    anotherteenontheweb.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You definitely should. And I'm already following you ;)

      Delete
  18. Wow! Really love how you've reviewed all of her songs! To be honest: I've never been a huge TS fan but it had totally changed with the song 'Shake it off'! I really adore this song! It brings me in such a good mood that I'm starting to dance wherever I am, lol!

    Love
    ♘ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's great that her new style is bringing new fans. I miss her old songs, but I'm also glad her music is becoming more mainstream at the same time, because it's making people like you realise how amazing she is. Shake it Off really is a dancy happy song ;)

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Thanks! You should go enjoy it too xx

      Delete
  20. I love Taylor, her songs have gotten so much better in the last few years.

    I'l have to have a listen!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor's songs have definitely changed overtime.. but I think that change is what I'm liking about all her music. Going back and listening to the old ones compared to now. You definitely have to listen!

      Delete
  21. The polaroids are probably my favourite part of the entire set out of the album. They create this personal feel to the entirety of it all, which I think adds a unique atmosphere. Also, I haven't heard the songs in the album yet (except Shake it Off of course), but I'm sure to listen to them now.

    (((((((p.s. taylor is always on tumblr so u have a chance of catching her on tumblr..a small chance but a chance))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the polaroids really are such a great idea. I only just realised that there were different ones in each album. It wasn't just the same 20!? Gotta love Taylor <3 And you definitely should. You have no idea what you're missing out on. Thanks for the advice!! xx

      Delete
  22. I love her new album! The polaroids are so cute, I agree! <333 I really love Taylor Swift so much, though! Her songs are so good! <3

    Lovely post once again, M! :)

    Cloudy Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!? Ahh this album is just perf. She is perf <3... almost perf...

      Delete
  23. I love your blog
    Please check mine --> My lips are Poison
    Hope you can have a look at my blog. If you wanna follow each other, comment in my blog.

    xx
    Ly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Um I think we're already following each other, but I'll check again...

      Delete
  24. I have a guilty pleasure towards TS for some years now (I say guilty pleasure because my friends are into Deep House and some other non-real music genres) and I had mixed feelings towards this album at first hear. It felt like she transformed herself to fit in the music industry, you know, went from country to pop to earn more money, but hey, her songs are more catchy and fun this way. I absolutely got addicted to her songs after listening to them a couple of times and I love Blank Space & Style so much that I listen them all the time. Can we keep this confession between you and I (and the whole blogosphere)? :)
    Have a great one and hope you make it to Taylor's twitter with those photos of yours!

    http://roomxcv.blogspot.com | Room 95

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sure thing ;) People at my school are pretty mixed about Taylor too. I mean, about half love her, and the other half thinks she's prissy and too mainstream. Her music is so much more different now though, and very pop, but hey you're right about the beat. I can now jog to her instead of skipping a quarter of her songs. Thanks Eda!! <3

      Delete
  25. Wow I love how you went so in-depth with this amazing album! I must admit that after her last album, I wasn't as into her songs as before-- Red just wasn't my favourite. But Taylor did amazing promotions for this album-- her IG updates were so cute and really made you anticipate the drop of 1989! I even pre-ordered haha! When it came out, I played it on repeat for more than a week (actually, it's still on repeat right now). I do love her new sound, I always loved the country sound of her music but I think she's taken some of that and evolved it into a new sound that suits her even more. And I also noticed that her music has grown up, she doesn't talk about sweet romantic love (Love Story, etc.), all of her songs are a bit wiser, even a little cynical. But still real and relateable as always! My fav songs are Out of the Woods, Style, Blank Space, Clean, This Love, How You Get the Girl!

    xx Debbie

    www.whatdoffydoes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. How I wish I could've had this comment before making this post. I would have quoted you. Haha. ;) The polaroid and lyric build up really was such a smart business move, and it's still on repeat for me too! My faves are Blank Space, Clean and Wonderland <3 You're definitely right about her being wiser and her songs being a little more cynical. That's the bit I wish I could've quoted ;)

      Delete
  26. oh god oh god! This is by far my favorite album this year! I love all the Polaroids and the hidden messages. I first inlove with her in her country music, and now that shes more into pop, i can say that i love her even more! My favorites and are always on the repeats are Bad Blood, Blank Space, I Know Places, Style, Out of the Woods, Clean!

    Visit my blog: www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too just wow!!! <3 I completely agree with the love for country and then pop. It still sounds like her with those amazing lyrics, but it's just more upbeat and catchy, which is both good and bad. Blank Space is just perfect...

      Delete
  27. So cool to have *0*

    恵美より ♥
    www.emi-doll.blogspot.jp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool and very good ;) Visiting your blog now...

      Delete
  28. I don't like Taylor Swift too much but I have to say...Blank Space is one of my favourite songs! xx
    emilyjanewebb.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love all the songs. I only have the digital version, so I don't get any of the bonus tracks. =~( But, New Romantics is coming out on iTunes!

    ReplyDelete