Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Respect

I'm pretty sure everyone is like this.  We all want to be respected.  We all want to be a little superior.  We all want to be seen as at least an equal, someone worth your attention.  We care so much about how much people respect us.  It would be nice to be powerful, to have everyone looking up to you, to be an actual influence on people.  The respect of others makes you feel special.



So when you don't feel respected, you feel very down.  For example, in band this morning.  Previously, for the last two years, I've never even tried.  Band was too early.  I was always arriving late, never able to warm up.  So as a result, I'm not respected as a player.  I'm probably that girl that never plays, or that girl that just follows along.  I can tell the conductor doesn't respect me, and it bothers me.  I know I'm better than some others in my band who are respected.  My teacher told me himself.  But even though I know I'm okay, her disrespect bothers me.  Why is that?  Why is she so important?  This one conductor is barely a part of my life, yet I still care.

And sometimes people judge you by your reputation, how good you are at something, your friends, how shy you are, the weird things you say when you speak, how loud and embarrassing you can be.  And many people won't respect you.  You're not good at something, therefore they disrespect you in that regard.  You're friends with people they don't like, therefore they automatically dislike you.  You say something weird, therefore they will forever judge you as 'that weird girl'.  You don't ever speak to them, therefore they think you're unsociable.  And that's how it works.  People that don't really know you will judge you and disrespect you just like that.



So you'll never be fully respected.  You can't be good at everything.  You can't never be shy.  So what do their opinions matter?  Why do you see the need to be respected by them?  Sure, there's always certain people that are looked up to more than others and feel more special, that get elected for school captain or win the most awards.  But why should you spend your time worrying about being respected by all these people who don't even know you?

What matters is that you're respected by the people that do know you, that you talk to regularly.  What matters is having that kind of support.  As long as you have a lovely group of people who know you and respect you, all those other people don't matter.  I know people who don't seem to care about what others think.  They're never afraid to be judged for doing anything.  In fact, they're more respected for that.  People who don't care what others think tend to be so much happier.




Augustus Waters always wanted to be special, someone great.  But Hazel was content with just being respected and loved by him, and he admired that.

Love,
M

44 comments:

  1. Well I was gonna comment "As long as people you are close with respect you and you do what you are supposed to it doesn't matter if any random person respects you or not because we all judge all the time" but you kind of included that in your post towards the end :P :P

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah. Sorry about the weird order and rambling. I wrote this really late last night after a not-so-amazing day. But yes, very true.

      Delete
    2. Well it was really great..some people really need to think about this...if you write such stuff on not-so-amazing days I can't wait to read the ones you write on amazing days :) :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! Normally I only write stuff like this on my not-so-amazing days, but you may have given me the incentive to write something more meaningful than about fashion or TV on my more amazing days too. :)

      Delete
  2. Liked how you linked it back to TFIOS. You're right. Why should we worry about the haters. Loads of people like us for who we are. Written fantastically once again.

    Lucy xxx

    mylittlelifeandallthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Lucy!! xx Haters gonna hate, and we're gonna continue loving TFIOS.

      Delete
  3. This opened my eyes a little wider~

    So thanks for this beautiful post.

    Vanshi || Upwardss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Vanshi. Thanks for this beautiful comment.

      Delete
  4. Respect is earned, not given:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true J. Very true. I was thinking of including that, but it didn't seem to click or apply because I'm only looking for the respect of certain people. The rest are insignificant.

      Delete
  5. Really enjoy all of your posts, very thoughtful, keep it up xx :)

    99 OUTFITS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! xx I'm glad you do :)

      Delete
  6. The very things we can do is respect our own self and believe that we are capable of everything, we just have to believe in ourselves, because the rest will follow. Really good post M <3

    Anyway dear, i am inviting you to join my giveaway here
    Visit my blog: www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Everything you've just said is so true. We really are capable of anything if we believe we can do it and try. I'd love to check out your blog and giveaway.

      Delete
  7. Nice post!! enjoyed reading !!!
    http://glitzzngrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. True, every word you said. Its not worth wasting your time on what others think or wasting your time on giving and expecting respect for those who don't hold any significant part in your life. As long as those who matter to you are given proper respect and they show the same back to you then its all that matters and eventually that will make you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. What you've said is very true too ;) Now it's a matter of getting the mind to stop caring about what all these others think. It's easier said than done.

      Delete
  9. Nice post dear! Like it!
    http://adelinaschoice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Checking out your blog now xx

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you think so. :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. So true too. Can't wait to check out your blog!

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for leaving comment on my blog:))
    I just followed you on GFC, follow me back?
    Kisses
    http://asja91.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Thanks so much! I'd love to follow you back xo

      Delete
  13. nice post
    would you like to follow each other? :)
    i'll follow back after it

    www.miharujulie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miharu! I'd love to :)

      Delete
  14. Loving all these meaningful posts <3 I think we all need a bit more respect for other people these days, especially a lot of those of my age range. On top of that, I do think we need respect for ourselves too.

    Check out my review and giveaway: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/10/the-seven-deadly-sins-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Respect for others and ourselves is much needed in society. I'd love to check out your blog <3

      Delete
  15. It can be terrible when people don't respect you. I'd talk to your teacher about the respect thing, maybe he thinks you don't respect him if you're always late?

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It is. But I can't really expect respect without trying. I should simply turn up on time and play well for once, and slowly earn their respect.

      Delete
  16. oh yes respect is always a key!

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog
    P.S. following you now via GFC and waiting for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key to making people feel worthy! No need to wait anymore ;)

      Delete
  17. Awesome post! I bet every single one of us goes through feelings like this. We all want to be loved, told we're doing good things. We all want to be liked and treated fairly. Unfortunately, it's impossible to please everyone at the same time—so just be you! Be your best self and you'll find out who deserves *your* respect in return. :)

    Great job, and thank you for the comment you left on my blog. Followed!

    ~Eve
    http://eveofnight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What you said is very true and although being respected by many sure is nice, respect from the self is really the key :)

      Delete
  18. Love the quote about not being rude to people!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, very interesting, I like your conclusion very mature.

    http://dreamland1234.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika! Although mature, it's difficult to keep in mind.

      Delete