Saturday, 4 October 2014

Holiday Projects

I'm at that stage in the holidays where half my friends are away and I haven't got any concrete plans, so I'm spending quite a bit of time at home.  Like a lot of people, when I'm home for too long, I tend to get really really bored and eat a lot (because people like me mistake boredom for hunger).  But in the recent holidays, I've found that staying at home can actually be really productive.  It can be a time to try new things and find out that you actually really like writing, or drawing, or cooking.  I know how I've spent my free time has changed quite a lot since I started new things in the holidays.

Here's a list of productive holiday projects you could try to eliminate your boredom, or start something new.


Draw
The picture above is the first remotely realistic different sketch I ever drew, drawn in the third school holidays last year.  I remember feeling a great sense of pride and showing my whole family, who weren't nearly enthusiastic enough for me ;).  I now know that copying photos and drawing eyes really isn't that hard, but this whole experience started a phase where I would try copying photographs and drawing new things.  I still draw occasionally today.  So maybe you should pick up a lead pencil and a photograph, and start drawing.  I think you'll find that you're actually pretty good at it.



Write a story
Although I suggest you write on your laptop rather than using a pencil like in the image above.  Just think about it, all those fantasies you have swimming around in your head, all the stuff you wish would happen but you know never will.  You can write it all down in a story.  You wish you'd gotten up to talk to the cute boy on the bus?  Write a story where you did, and all the cute stuff that could happen after.  You wish you could go on an adventure to space?  Write a story where you do.  It's like living in a different reality, a world that you've made up just for you.  And if you'd like other people to read it, there's a great slightly shameful website called Wattpad. ;)



Reorganise your room
Now this is definitely productive.  First of all, you're going to have to actually clean your room.  There can't be any clothes, bags, books, stationary, anything on the floor.  That's a project in itself.  Once that's done, well, there's an endless supply of stuff you could organise.  There's your wardrobe, your bookshelf, your desk, your makeup, jewellery, any other shelves where you put random knick knacks and heirlooms.  Sure, organising may sound like a dreadful thing to do, but plan out how you're going to organise your stuff first.  You'll find that you'll actually get pretty into it, pretty excited about your new room system.  Now it's a question of whether you can sustain it...



Redecorate your room
If you have nothing to reorganise cos you're super organised like that, try decorating your room a little.  Make some canvas quotes (permanent marker makes everything easier), stick up some drawings, posters, make a collage of photos that make you happy, maybe an inspiration board, a string of polaroids.  Or maybe just decking your room with paper lanterns or strings of lights from Typo would be enough.  How about some of those glow in the dark star stickers?  Make your room more you.



Start a new TV series
Okay, I know this isn't exactly productive, but it really is fun.  And yeah, it doesn't really help the whole eating thing either, since food always accompanies TV, but still, TV shows are some of the best entertainment.  There's Pretty Little Liars, Doctor Who, Gossip Girl, Gilmore Girls, Dance Academy just to name a few.  You could spend the day watching episode after episode without a care in the world, because you have so much time.  So is there a TV show you think sounds interesting but you've never had a chance to watch?  Or maybe everybody's talking about it and you're the only one without a clue.  Well now's the time to catch up and treat yourself to come good entertainment.



Cook
It was in the holidays that I learnt to bake, to make my own homemade pizza.  And that's still literally all I can do.  So if you're a non-chef like me, why not take up a little cooking in the holidays?  Fish up some recipes from the internet, or explore through your mum's cookbooks, or even just buy some of that processed ready made stuff and start from there.  As for me, well, I should probably go find some two minute noodle packets and figure out how to cook them.  That would be a great big productive step in cooking for me.



Nail art
This isn't really a project, but it is something you can try once every few days, or once a day even.  I know it was the holidays when I first started doing my nails, since nail polish isn't allowed at my school.  There are loads of nail tutorials on you tube and many accounts on instagram to give you ideas.  So grab your toothpicks and nail polish, and start showing off some new nail designs.



Be a little healthier
Go for a jog, go cycling, do some push ups, sit ups.  You can just run around your neighbourhood. Set yourself some goals.  For example, run 3km every two days.  It doesn't need to be too difficult.  You should just try to be a little physical, especially if you're normally not physical at all during your average daily life.  Trust me.  You'll feel really good afterwards.
*ironic: I just turned down tennis with my dad literally 2 seconds ago*
But seriously, be more active.  I did go cycling this morning.


Start a blog
I saved this one for last because, well, it's my latest holiday project I guess, and I'm working on it right now.  Blogging is an amazing project that gives you a sense of pride every time you post.  I know that while I was sick and bored, starting a blog seemed like the best idea ever and I obsessed over it for about a week.  I still sort of do now.  So if you like the idea of having a blog and sharing ideas, whether it be about books, beauty or life in general, go ahead and start one.  And if you do, don't be afraid to comment on this blog.  I'd be happy to follow you!

Love,
M


29 comments:

  1. I feel like you're setting amazing goals for yourself! I admire your tenacity and determination. It really is an admirable trait. I hope you start Pretty Little Liars. It's actually very good, but you tend to get annoyed when they don't reveal the villain in time!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But I'm not gonna do everything these holidays ;) Haha I actually love Pretty Little Liars. I think Spencer's my favourite. Or Mona. Mona's so funny.

      Delete
  2. M!:) this is exactly what I needed, I'm dying from boredom at home...
    Mmm homemade pizza <3 will I ever get to try that??:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha June. I hope you'll start a little project, but I believe you already have one with your amazing blog! You could probably start a little writing too ;) And sure sure. You can try my badly made homemade pizza some day...

      Delete
  3. Great tips. I chuckled on that slightly shameful website called Wattpad haha sometimes more than slightly. But some of the authors here are really good!
    Xxx, Carade
    car-ade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah.. although I'm embarrassed by it, I do love some of the most cliché books on wattpad.. Glad I'm not the only one ;)

      Delete
  4. Amazing ideas! Defo going to do some of these in my holidays. Please check out my blog thanks http://mylittlelifeandallthat.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And sure I'd love to xx

      Delete
  5. They're all such great ideas! I can never help painting my nails when I'm bored in the house, I'd love to bake but I would probably set fire to the house!

    Elma x || PetalGrrl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha that's what I used to think about baking. Now it's just everything that involves a stove :/ Gosh cooking is scary.

      Delete
  6. Hey!
    Cool list..and that eye..WOW..it's not as easy to draw an eye that beautiful..:)

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Checking out your blog now ;)

      Delete
  7. I love Pretty Little Liars, I can't wait for it to come back! I also was obsessed with Gilmore Girls back in the day. x Jenn

    www.augustweekend.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! And I started watching Gilmore Girls recently because someone recommended it to me. I'm loving it <3 Loving Dean ;)

      Delete
  8. Looks like great plans! And yeah blogging is very fun and proud thing to do. Hope you'll catch up with everything!

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog
    P.S. would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah I'd love to. I love your blog xx

      Delete
  9. Hey,

    You have a really lovely Blog with interesting Stuff on it! Do you want to support each other and follow via GFC?
    If yes tell me and i follow you back, Honey :)

    Greetings from Germany
    www.sophias-fashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking out your blog right now xx

      Delete
  10. awesome ideas! i'd love to redecorate my room but will have to wait til i move out

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Have fun moving out!!! New room, new organisation ;)

      Delete
  11. I love all these ideas! But wait... you're ALREADY ON HOLIDAYS??? WHAT!!!!! I have another few centuries before my half term starts, you lucky duck!

    That eye drawing is really good, I would be proud too if I were you! It has like a glint of light in the pupil, it's really nice :3

    Amy;
    The Blog Hermit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yess we are!! It's been a week and it's been really great, although I think I'm becoming a bit of a hermit. ;)

      Thanks about the eye drawing! I just used an eraser.

      Delete
  12. M, I love your ideas, whenever you post stuff like this it truly helps me out! :) Over here in the states we just started school a month ago, so break isn't here for us to quite awhile, but I'm homeschooled so i get school done and have lots of spare time, thanks for the advice on what to do besides eating ;)

    With Love, Elizabeth
    http://whimsicalthoughtss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad I'm helping. And that's cool that you have a lot of spare time to not eat ;) ;)

      Delete
  13. These are all such great ideas! I'll definitely try some of these out :) xoxo

    Arushee || unadornedgifts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You definitely should! :) Checking out your blog now.

      Delete
  14. These are fun ideas to try! I especially want to try cooking/baking more.
    -Geneva
    http://addalittlemoresparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete