Sunday, 31 August 2014

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge



So today I did the ALS ice bucket challenge with two of my out-of-school friends and my sister (late, I know, because I was recovering from sickness), and it was freezing!  Not to mention, my mum totally messed up and didn't record it the first time, so we had to do it again.  I also forgot a change of underwear...

However, I'm not here to blog about my ice bucket challenge.  I'm not even here to blog about Taylor Swift's or Barack Obama's or any other famous figure pouring cold water over themselves.  No.  I'm here to talk about Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as ALS.

ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease.  Basically, it causes the ability of the brain to control parts of the body to be lost, progressively.  This means that people with ALS slowly lose their ability to function their hands, arms, legs, and eventually their heart and lungs.  For those of you who know who Stephen Hawking is, ALS is something like what he has.

I actually knew a girl in primary school who had a degenerative muscle disease.  At the time she was already in a wheelchair.  When I first knew her she could still walk a little, but she was slowly unable to walk at all.  Then she started losing movement in her arms.  She was unable to do pretty braids anymore.  Just imagine how scary it would be, knowing that you would eventually lose all movement, that you would eventually be unable to breathe on your own.

Watch this whole video to understand a little more...


Yeah, so for the masses of people who have done the challenge, or even if you haven't, donate now at ALS donate to support research for a cure to this terrifying disease.

Love,
M

19 comments:

  1. This is such a meaningful post! A lot of people are doing the bucket challenge without knowing the purpose behind it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! So many people have been posting their videos without writing anything about ALS. In fact, some people haven't even mentioned ALS at all. It's so important to spread awareness about diseases such as this one so that we can work together to find a cure. And that video is so touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. I know right? Hopefully more people will be more knowledgeable about the disease. At least this challenge has created some awareness.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this!
    Love this blog,it's my fav.
    Kisses,

    http://fashionstyleglamfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. And thanks so much xx

      Delete
  4. Woww. This is such a great reminder. We often forget about the ALS in the fun of doing the challenge itself. Thanks <3 xxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!? And no problem xx

      Delete
  5. This challenge is really good, loads so people have been donating! xx

    Beauty Soup || UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess!! Whoever thought of spreading awareness through social media like that was a genius.

      Delete
  6. Hello lovely, thank you for the sweet comment on my blog, I really appreciate it! I'm now following you... Follow me back? :)

    Wow great post, thanks for sharing - such a great cause!

    I have a new post up, would love to know your thoughts:

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep my dad messed up recording the first time, so I had to do it twice too! It's really not fun :D lol xoxo I've just started a blog of my own and if you're interested you are very welcome it visit. Followers are desperately needed!!! http://xbeyoutifulx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Parents and technology. sighhh...

      Checking your blog out now xx

      Delete
  8. I watched the video a few days ago, and it actually made shed a tear. :( I was nominated but I didn't get the chance to do it. :( I don't know anyone who had ALS but I'm glad it is getting the attention it needs. :)

    Cathy // HELLO, CATHY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here and I probably shouldn't have done it either. My cold and cough came back. Whoops :/

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I know right!? I'm glad it's getting the notice it needs.

      Delete
  10. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts.
    Tableau Guru
    http://www.sqiar.com/data-hosting/

    ReplyDelete